Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

apple cider vinegar for conditioner?

Please do tell! I was reading another thread and it sounds like several people use this for a hair conditioner.

Does it really work? Does your hair smell like vinegar?
Dumb question, but how do you apply it? Do you keep a squirt bottle in the shower or something and just squirt it on your head? (Maybe I am uncoordinated, but it is hard for me to apply something really liquid-y to my hair using the cup of my hand) How much do you use?

Thanks!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: apple cider vinegar for conditioner?

I tried doing the whole no-poo thing (baking soda instead of shampoo, acv instead of conditioner, and it just did not work at all for me. So I tried going back to regular shampoo and sticking with the acv, and it works great for me. It makes my hair super soft. I keep the acv in the little squirt bottle I got at the hospital when I gave birth. I squirt a little bit (maybe 3 Tb. or so?) into a plastic cup, and fill the rest of the cup with water, then pour over my head. I wash my face, then rinse my hair. There is a very faint smell while my hair is wet, but I can only smell it if I really try. When my hair dries, there is no vinegar smell at all.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

It does work, really well! Your hair will smell like vinegar until it dries. (Vinegar has a very "clear" smell and completely disappears once it is dry.) I keep a bottle of apple cider vinegar in the shower and pour a little over my head. My girls do this too.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I tried it and used a peri bottle (saved the bottle from my birth). I don't really know if it worked because I wouldn't stick with it....in the less than a week I used it, my hair was no softer. The smell absolutely did NOT dry out of my hair. It stuck. Pungently.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I do the baking soda for my hair. Tried the ACV but it didn't really do anything for me. These days I stick with just the baking soda & I use coconut oil for my hair - acts as a conditioner & anti-frizz serum. Occasionally, I'll use a few eggs on my hair as a deep conditioning treatment, but I'm generally too lazy or forgetful to carry the eggs up to the shower with me
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMamma View Post
I do the baking soda for my hair. Tried the ACV but it didn't really do anything for me. These days I stick with just the baking soda & I use coconut oil for my hair - acts as a conditioner & anti-frizz serum. Occasionally, I'll use a few eggs on my hair as a deep conditioning treatment, but I'm generally too lazy or forgetful to carry the eggs up to the shower with me
I'm glad I found this. I was doing the baking soad thing for about a week but my hair just didn't feel clean. Maybe it was in my head ???
Anyway, I switched to Chagrin Valley poo bars and I like them. I still do the ACV rinse, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. I was thinking of quitting it and just using coconut oil after I get out of the shower (which I do anyway).
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Kozmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't wait to try this!
Kozmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
kdzb243
Registered Users
seller

From what I understand, most people use 1 tbs to 1 cup of water either squirted or poured over your head in the shower. You can choose to rinse out or not. I've only done it a couple times (just transitioning to no-poo after being low-poo for a long time) but I like how it feels in my hair. No big smell left afterward either. I think like most things, it's just trial and error to figure out what works for you.
kdzb243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
kcannon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use a squeeze bottle like what you would use to apply hair color. I squirt some on my hair and then run the tip of the bottle through my scalp. I use a small amount, and make sure to rinse it thoroughly so there is no smell left over. My hair is super soft and shiny!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

I have a very sensitive nose and even after rinsing well I could still smell it after it dried (and I HATE the smell of vinegar so it was a no-go for me).
After trying no-poo and LOTS of different shampoo options, I finally found what works for me. I'm down to using non-SLS-shampoo and conditioner every 6 days now (with NO head-wetting on the off days) and that's working great for me.