Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
SEEDS

Where do you guys order your seeds from? Locally I have a HORRIBLE selection. I am really looking for varietys that are good for zone 8A (i am in tucson arizona) and are draught hardy (or direct sun hardy ) buut I plan on putting up some sun shades soo that should help next year
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING

Last edited by igotmywings; 10-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: SEEDS

interested too.

In our garden everything was getting burnt really bad until we put up a framework with sunscreen material. We also went through a huge amount of water and had to water twice a day.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I'm in 8b southern california in the Joshua tree area at around 4,000 ft. I get the best germination rates and they just plain have the BEST c/s from seed savers http://www.seedsavers.org/ It's so great that for their seeds I don't bother to put more than 1 seed per hole because it would just be a waste! I try to order everything I need from them. I also like territorial seed co. http://www.territorialseed.com/

I have yet to find a seed store that specializes in edible garden needs for southwest states. Most just tout the virtues of moisture conserving native plants. If you come across one please lmk! It's a lot of trial and error, you have to look up the zones for everything you plant. I have found that timing and the type of beds is most critical.

Sunken garden beds have become a means of survival (my garden I mean) for me. I have the sunken beds with soaker hoses and I got straw bales and laid a 4-6" layer across the whole bed. I pushed aside the straw to plant and then covered back when the plants got tall enough. Mulch is your best friend. Works wonderfully, I watered those beds once maybe twice a week and they thrived! Next year I'm going with shade cloth sails over the tender parts of the garden because like you, once the sun is high at about 11-12 pm my plants begin to droop even if the soil is moist and cool. Here's an article you might find interesting!

http://scientificgardener.blogspot.c...of-tucson.html
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just can't say enough good things about baker creek! I had some seeds that didn't sprout and e-mail with questions, they replaced them! Wonderfull and helpfull people. Excelent selection!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I just can't say enough good things about baker creek! I had some seeds that didn't sprout and e-mail with questions, they replaced them! Wonderfull and helpfull people. Excelent selection!
Same here, they have great customer service. We live in zone 5 and almost all our garden was from seeds from them. I plan on ordering the seeds I need for next year from them as well. Their website is https://rareseeds.com/
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I've placed one order w/baker creek as well. Most did well, I thought some of the tomato strains were a bit weak, they weren't the strongest seedlings. Everything else was good.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the recs you guys!! I greatly appreciate it!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

did anyone grow and pickle the cucumbers off their site? any good recs?? I LOVE canning spicy pickles!!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Didn't can any but we did get their uzbenski (sp) and it is a true burpless. Even after Caydens fundo he was able to eat tons of them! I will stick with those for fresh eating forever, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the rec Sarah!