Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Has anyone declined the iv administered antibiotics for Group B strep and regretted that decision?
redlichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
prila84
Registered Users
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Do they let you decline? after doing lots of research i've decided i want to decline if my results come back positive but our hospital won't allow us to decline (i have kaiser). Also from what I 've seen, midwives test for group B strep but usually do not administer antibiotics...
prila84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prila84 View Post
Do they let you decline? after doing lots of research i've decided i want to decline if my results come back positive but our hospital won't allow us to decline (i have kaiser). Also from what I 've seen, midwives test for group B strep but usually do not administer antibiotics...
I had Kaiser for many years in the past. But, that's beside the point. They can't force you to take anything. If you go in and are in labor, they can't turn you away and also cannot legally force you to take something. Now, that said, if you refuse the antibiotic and something happens, they can (and Kaiser would) deny to pay for the treatment for it. But, you can always deny it. It's your right as a patient. In some cases, hospitals or drs. can refuse to treat you if you refuse to follow their treatment, but if you are in active labor, they can't turn you away.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My midwife tests for Strep B and also administers the antibiotics when you go into labor.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
InBloomDoula
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Midwives do what you consent to just like OBs and mine administered the antibiotics. I don't have personal experience with this but a friend of mine declined and her daughter was infected and is now blind as a result. She regrets it sorely. But please do you own research and make an informed choice.
InBloomDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

I was told (by my OB in AZ) that the hospital will let you sign a consent form to decline. I don't see how any place could force you since thrre is a great chance if you could be tested before delivery it would be a different result than it was at 37 weeks. If a rapid test is offered, it is not as accurate.
Of course my OB was very serious and cautionary about what could happen if you decline. However the risk you take exposing your baby to antibiotics is equally scary to me. So I just don't know what to do.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

You can feed your newborn probiotics if you take antibiotics during birth. It will help them get all the good stuff back. I have c-sections, thus antibiotics, and my pediatrician asks I give the newborn probiotics for (I think) 2 weeks after birth. So there are ways to help if you decide to take antibiotics.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
prila84
Registered Users
seller

Hmm thanks good to know. I was also under the impression that no one can "force" anything on me but i'm hearing otherwise from the OB at Kaiser..grr! And to the OP, I totally agree about the Group B thing -- the results can def change from when they swab you at37 wks to when you deliver. But it is a defensive measure on their part. Some people are more "high risk" than others regarding the possible transmission of the bacteria so I would suggest looking into it and making an informed decision . Don't let them pressure you into taking the antibiotics if you don't want to though =).. I personally do not like defensive medicine. so I will also be declining the standard newborn care practices like the eye ointment, Vit K injection, etc.... just my opinion.
prila84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Probiotics for infants, I had no idea they made such a thing, thanks for that info.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Infant probiotics are supposed to help with colic, too. But only one strain has actually been tested. There is a risk of sepsis, though. It is small, but there.

Check around online, I've read many births where the parents definitely regretted their decision because their LO's didn't make it. Antibiotics aren't fun, and we don't use them unless absolutely needed, but IMO, this is one time when they are absolutely warranted. The scientific evidence is very strong in favor of them.