Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Favorite books???

I am going to get my boys some books for Christmas. They LOVE to read, and we go through books like crazy. We have a TON of old Golden Books and other random books that I've picked up at yard sales and such.

What is your suggestion for good children's books (preferably that aren't $12+ per book)? Favorite author or series (we love Eric Carle, Laura Numeroff, Dr. Seuss...)? My boys are 2 and 5. I would love Christian themed books!!

**Before you ask...we live in a rural area. My oldest ds is in kindergarten but is only allowed to go to the library once a week. The closest public library is 20 miles away and we don't get there often at all.**

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Favorite books???

Favorite books in our house:
I'll love you Forever
Dr. Seuss
Eric Carle
Berenstain Bears(they have a bunch that are Christian stories too)
Beatrix Potter
Winnie the Pooh

My kids also like some chapter books. We read Magic Treehouse all the time and then have Read Along copies of Little House on the Prairie(just the first book), Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ramona, and Walk Two Moons.

My kids are 4 months, 2 1/2 yrs and 5 yrs old...don't do much reading to the 4 month old yet.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Look into Jon Muth. Although he has more of a Buddhist outlook, they are high quality stories.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

In addition to the above, we have enjoyed...

the Giggle, Giggle books (Giggle, Giggle, Quack; Duck for President; Click, Clack, Moo; etc)
Jan Brett books
Thomas the Tank Engine
Harry and the Terrible Whatsit
Charlie and Lola

I word of caution on the Berenstein Bears books. You might not care so much, but in case you would, I have found that many of these books portray the dad as stupid, as the children knowing more than the dad, and the mom basically as never doing anything wrong. Not all the books are like that, but many of them are. I screen the ones we get from the library.

Oh, and chapter books would be good at that age, too. In addition to the ones above, we like Geronimo Stilton (and Thea Stilton), Hank the Cowdog, Adventures in Oddessey (some of these are really geared for older kids, so while there wouldn't be anything bad, there may be stuff above their level), Chronicals of Narnia, Roverandom, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, and Redwall.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids love: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Gruffalo (This one is great! I highly recommend it!), Love You Forever, The Little Lost Duckling, Go, Dog, Go, anything Eric Carle, Sandra Boynton books, Clifford books, Li'l Critter books, The Berenstein Bears, Disney, Curious George, etc.

One great way to get books on the cheap is through Craigslist. I have found boxes of books that had a hundred or more books in them for only twenty-five dollars or so. Can't beat that price!
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...

Last edited by cheezpoofs; 10-25-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added Something
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Little Critter
Strega Nona
Splat the Cat
Fancy Nancy
Bereanstein Bears
Frog and Toad
Little Bear
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

miss rumphius, Barbara cooney
anything by bill peet, William steig, Julia Donaldson, Elsa beskow
the tomten by Astrid lindgren and her other books.
little house books
Eleanor estes, the moffats
knuffle bunny trilogy
boxcar children
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I love love love the Llama llama books, and they have a Llama Llama Holiday Drama one about Christmas.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
In addition to the above, we have enjoyed...

the Giggle, Giggle books (Giggle, Giggle, Quack; Duck for President; Click, Clack, Moo; etc)
Jan Brett books
Thomas the Tank Engine
Harry and the Terrible Whatsit
Charlie and Lola

I word of caution on the Berenstein Bears books. You might not care so much, but in case you would, I have found that many of these books portray the dad as stupid, as the children knowing more than the dad, and the mom basically as never doing anything wrong. Not all the books are like that, but many of them are. I screen the ones we get from the library.

Oh, and chapter books would be good at that age, too. In addition to the ones above, we like Geronimo Stilton (and Thea Stilton), Hank the Cowdog, Adventures in Oddessey (some of these are really geared for older kids, so while there wouldn't be anything bad, there may be stuff above their level), Chronicals of Narnia, Roverandom, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, and Redwall.
I have noticed that about the BB books. I always screen what I read too. I had forgotten about Jan Brett!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
My kids love: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Gruffalo (This one is great! I highly recommend it!), Love You Forever, The Little Lost Duckling, Go, Dog, Go, anything Eric Carle, Sandra Boynton books, Clifford books, Li'l Critter books, The Berenstein Bears, Disney, Curious George, etc.

One great way to get books on the cheap is through Craigslist. I have found boxes of books that had a hundred or more books in them for only twenty-five dollars or so. Can't beat that price!
We have several Sandra Boynton books...I'm going to check out The Gruffalo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Little Critter
Strega Nona
Splat the Cat
Fancy Nancy
Bereanstein Bears
Frog and Toad
Little Bear
I LOVED Strega Nona and Little Bear when I was a kid...wonder if my mom still has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I love love love the Llama llama books, and they have a Llama Llama Holiday Drama one about Christmas.
Definitely checking these out!!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone!! I have several authors to search now!!