Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
linzerin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Prepping/stripping used diapers

Hello everyone!

We are expecting our first in February and have started buying a variety of used dipes on here over the past few weeks. I have mostly fitteds, covers and inserts.

I'm looking for advice on how I should prep my used diapers.

1. Should strip them? Almost all are in EUC and barely used.

2. Should I bleach them? Don't know if I should be worried about yeast, bacteria, etc.

3. Do I handle the fitteds, inserts differently than the covers (covers are all PUL)?

4. Since I still have about 4 months until they will be on a baby bum, should I do this now, or closer to my due date?

Thanks mamas, you are a wealth of knowledge!!
~Lindsay
linzerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
urbanalbino
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prepping/stripping used diapers

I am also new, expecting my first in Jan, but from my research, you shouldn't use bleach. Not sure why, but most people I've run into use RLR instead of bleach. As far as waiting or doing it now.. I'd go ahead and do it. I always say its better to be prepared. I'm not sure about the stripping -- I would think that if they don't stink or aren't stained, stripping probably isn't necessary, but we'll see what other more experience mommas have to say. =) --Rachel
urbanalbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Friesjm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ooh good question! Expecting our first in 5 weeks... Eek! Need to start prepping mine too!
Friesjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Ladybugmama
Registered Users
seller

I would wash with a few drops of tea tree oil to kill bacteria & possible yeast. Then you can strip with a few drops of dawn dish soap & line dry.
Ladybugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Many people use bleach; it's fine to use. I personally always bleach new to me diapers. You can not see yeast, ammonia or lingering bacteria just by looking at the diaper and it has nothing to do with the condition of the diaper so better safe than sorry. I also always strip. Buildup is also not something you can always see. Too many people think some stink is normal for me to take a chance with bacteria on my baby's bum.

You can wash it all together, no need to seperate by type. I would strip then wash in your normal detergent with bleach. No reaon why you can't do it no so that's one less thing to worry about down the road.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bumping this really helpful thread as I am stripping and disinfecting a lot of flats/covers/trainers that I just got.

I made the mistake of NOT doing that with my sons "new" trainers (I just threw them in the wash) and he woke up with an ammonia burn. I felt so bad.

So, I figured others may need to be reminded too!

1)Strip
2)Wash & Disinfect

Easy peasy.....

One question:

Anyone know if you do all the rinsing that you would normally do following a stripping immediately after the stripping OR if you would just wait and do it following the washing & disinfecting stage?
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
Bumping this really helpful thread as I am stripping and disinfecting a lot of flats/covers/trainers that I just got.

I made the mistake of NOT doing that with my sons "new" trainers (I just threw them in the wash) and he woke up with an ammonia burn. I felt so bad.

So, I figured others may need to be reminded too!

1)Strip
2)Wash & Disinfect

Easy peasy.....

One question:

Anyone know if you do all the rinsing that you would normally do following a stripping immediately after the stripping OR if you would just wait and do it following the washing & disinfecting stage?
I would do all the rinsing after stripping/before disinfecting.

I also use bleach on everything (and 2-3 Tbsp in every load). I've been doing this with PUL, microfiber, organic cotton, regular cotton, hemp and microfiber for over a year. All of my diapers look new and I've never had a problem
Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
I would do all the rinsing after stripping/before disinfecting.

Thanks for this tip! I will do that...

I also use bleach on everything (and 2-3 Tbsp in every load). I've been doing this with PUL, microfiber, organic cotton, regular cotton, hemp and microfiber for over a year. All of my diapers look new and I've never had a problem
I keep seeing this over and over by lots of mamas. Its pretty surprising to me!

I am not opposed to bleach, but we never really needed it on the last kiddo we diapered. Never had a problem at all.

Keeping my fingers crossed this time and hoping for the same luck
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote