Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lanolin spray?

I have a couple of wool soakers that I've been washing in eucalan and lanolizing with melted lansinoh. But I want to try something more SIMPLE!
Do you, experienced ladies, have suggestions for lanolizing? I heard about spraying lanolin on the inside of soaker between washings...
Is eucalan ok for washing or do you have a better method?
Thank you so much for your help!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Lanolin spray?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump! Please tell me!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

I'm anxious to know also how people like the spray, I have always just melted the lansinoh also and soaked and dried...I have been debating trying the spray...I hope someone has some great advice for us!!
disneylindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The spray is meant to help you go longer between the "deep" lanolinizing. I don't know that I'd trust it to be the only lanolin I use. You would have to use a lot of it to get it absorbent enough to use, IMO.

OP: I used baby wash and the lanolin used for breastfeeding. I never had issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
1healthylady
Registered Users

I'd like to know too. I'm just getting into wool and haven't had to wash it yet.

Probably typing one handed while breastfeeding. My smartphone can't fix it all.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been making my own spray from Crow Mountain Crafts products...so far it has been AMAZING!!! I use it on outgoing orders, and so far have had great reviews!

I put about 1 tsp lanolin in an 8oz spray bottle, then drop in about 4 wool wash bits, and fill it with HOT HOT water from the tap...
Give it a good long shake, let it sit awhile, then shake it up again. It gets very milky, but still sprays beautifullly! I spray it all over the inside of the body, with some extra attention to the wet zone.
Work the spray into the fibers real fast, then hang to dry....and they dry very fast!

I honestly only wash/lanolize our family's woolies when they are soiled....if they need to be lanolized, I use my fantabulous spray, and voila!
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Note: I DO still do the traditional wash/lanolizing on wool that is feeling not-so-soft after the felting process...but if you are talking about knits, crochet, or interlock, I see no reason why a spray lanolizing wouldn't work. Its worth a try anyway!

I got a tub of lanolin from Crow Mountain Crafts, and then a bag of her wool wash bits...but I'm sure you could work with what you have....just don't only use the wool wash bits, that won't be enough lanolin to sufficiently lanolize. You need that solid lanolin in there, and you need it to get VERY melted, and broken down by the soap in the wool wash bits....its really stinkin' amazing! Like I said, worth a try
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySnickerdoodles
Note: I DO still do the traditional wash/lanolizing on wool that is feeling not-so-soft after the felting process...but if you are talking about knits, crochet, or interlock, I see no reason why a spray lanolizing wouldn't work. Its worth a try anyway!

I got a tub of lanolin from Crow Mountain Crafts, and then a bag of her wool wash bits...but I'm sure you could work with what you have....just don't only use the wool wash bits, that won't be enough lanolin to sufficiently lanolize. You need that solid lanolin in there, and you need it to get VERY melted, and broken down by the soap in the wool wash bits....its really stinkin' amazing! Like I said, worth a try
So if I understand well, the thing is that the wool wash helps the solid lanolin to melt well? Would it actually melt better than just heating the lansinoh in water? So I would still use lansinoh tube and I would get a wool wash bar to use with it?
Thank you, you help a lot!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststella View Post
So if I understand well, the thing is that the wool wash helps the solid lanolin to melt well? Would it actually melt better than just heating the lansinoh in water? So I would still use lansinoh tube and I would get a wool wash bar to use with it?
Thank you, you help a lot!
Yes, that's it exactly....the small amount of soap that is in wool wash, wool wash bars, and wool wash bits, helps to "break up" the lanolin, so it distributes well in the water, and can be sprayed out rather than clumping up in the bottle, and clogging up the little "hose".
And, before I got the wool wash bits, I used little shavings of wool wash bar, so I think that would work great! Just the lansinoh tube lanolin, and then the shavings/little chunk off the wool wash bar, and shake it up in hot water.

The hot water causes the lanolin to melt, but like I said, you really need it MORE than just melted...you need it "broken up" so it can be completely mixed with your water in the bottle and spray out easily.
I will actually microwave my spray bottle (unscrew the spray lid, just do the bottle)...for a little bit to re-melt any lanolin if I haven't used it in awhile, and then replace the lid/spray handle, and shake it up again, and you're good to go!

Last edited by BabySnickerdoodles; 11-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.