Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

How do your children call other adults?

I was brought up calling other adults Mr/Miss/Mrs Last name. Close friends were Aunty or Uncle First name. Nowadays I know hardly any kids that do that. I plan to raise my daughter how I was, but it seems so rare. I'll probably do Aunty/Uncle First name with close friends and I'm thinking I might go with Mr/Mrs First name as it almost seems people will be offended to be called by their last name, like it makes them feel old. What do you do with your kids or are you ok with them calling adults by their first name?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Re: How do your children call other adults?

They adress adults as mr. or ms. first name.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kason's mommy View Post
They address adults as mr. or ms. first name.
Yeah, that. Unless it's a teacher or I specify that he or she should be called something else.

Last edited by rileykidmama; 11-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.
rileykidmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids call other adults by their name. It is not common to call people Mr/Mrs/Sir/Miss here. I've never met someone who was offended by being called their first name, that is their name to begin with. I don't call my friends Mrs___ and to me kids don't need to either just because they are younger. They call aunts, uncles, cousins and so on by their first name too. Grandparents are different though, grandma, grandpa, noni, papa.

I prefer for my friends' kids to call me by my first name. I don't like to be called Mrs.___ or miss/ma'am. It seems unnatural to me. We only say Miss/Sir to strangers. I also went to a school where we called our teachers by their first names instead of their last because of equality or something like that.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most people are either their first name, or Mr/Ms and their first name unless they introduce themselves to my kids using their last name. Abby's violin teacher is Ms Rachel, but her Sunday school teacher and a few of the older ladies at church use their last names with the kids.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-10-2012 at 08:14 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My kids call adults Mr./Ms. First name. I personally can't stand the aunt uncle thing if they are not truly an aunt uncle. My kids also answer questions with yes/no mam/sir. Manners are important to us.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My kids call their teachers Mr. Or Mrs. Ms drives me nuts. If all you give me to say is Ms. I will use Mrs. Adult friends are called Mr, Mrs, Miss or in the case of those with the same religion my kids are taught to say brother or sister so and so.

Adult family members are Aunt or Uncle so and so. Grandparents are either grandma/grandpa or Papa/Nani. As a child I was taught to call my Dad's adult cousins Aunt and Uncle. It just seems more respectful to me.

I don't require my children's friends to use any special terms. That is up to their parents to teach them not me.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
MrsHappyGoLucky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second the Ms/Mr first name. I like the aunt/uncle thing for close friends, but I remember growing up being confused who was actually related to me. The only ones we'll have our LO call aunt/uncle will be our two closest friends who are married and also her godparents. Being from Oklahoma it's considered a sign of respect to call someone Ms/Mr and ma'am/sir.

Could you use more energy, fewer health problems or take the guesswork out of nutrition? Try the all natural, whole food concentrate nutritional drink!
Ask me for a free sample! http://bjmitchell.zealforlife.com
MrsHappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

So & so's mom or dad or sis usually. I was told teachers were mr.or mrs. Or miss. Last name. & I think friends too or just last name.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My LO's address adults as Mr/Mrs/Ms First Name.