Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

Does your insurance charge seperate deductible for baby at birth?

I am due in February and I have $2500 per person deductible. I have been counting on having to pay that deductible for both baby and myself at delivery...so total of $5000.

However, we just got our insurance enrollment papers for next year and they give an example of costs...and they used "having a baby". Under this example, the baby's hospital charge is under the mother's deductible.

I could swear that I paid a seperate deductible for my daugther when she was born, but maybe I'm wrong. (We had better insurance then, so the deductible wasn't very much...I would have remembered for sure if it was the $2500 we have now!)

Anyone know how their insurance covers it?
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

My insurance did not count baby's bill towards second deductible, everything went under me and once I met my deductible we were done paying hospital expenses on the both if us.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your insurance charge seperate deductible for baby at birth?

I had 2 deductibles - one for baby and one for me. My lo was in the NICU so I don't know if that made a difference or not.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Baby is covered under my copay without having a separate one. I have to pay $150 copay for inpatient care. Baby will go to NICU when born and will be covered under my $150 copay no matter how long he is here.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was charged separately too. They sent it in one bill under my dh's name (he holds the insurance) but there were charges for me and charges for the baby.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Mrs_B2009
Registered Users
seller

With my daughter we had a separate deductible for her, we got a separate bill for the visits from the pediatrician, hearing test and the other stuff they do in the nursery. We didn't get a room & board bill, that was included in mine.

For this LO, I don't know, but I'm assuming a separate deductible. Dh needs to call, so I will add this to our list of questions!
Mrs_B2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
kanga1622
Registered Users

My policy states one inpatient copay if mom and baby leave the hospital together. If baby stays longer, then mom and baby have separate inpatient copays.

If mom and baby leave the hospital together, everything gets billed to mom and falls under just her max out of pocket charges.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
My policy states one inpatient copay if mom and baby leave the hospital together. If baby stays longer, then mom and baby have separate inpatient copays.

If mom and baby leave the hospital together, everything gets billed to mom and falls under just her max out of pocket charges.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Same here.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
lilg82882
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I work at an insurance company. Obviously I can't speak for all companies but at mine as long as baby goes home with mom it all gets billed under mom and her deductible. But if baby has to stay then it gets charged under baby an applies to baby's deductible. Or in the case of no deductible you pay one inpatient copay unless baby stays longer than you each pay one.

Last edited by lilg82882; 11-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.
lilg82882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilg82882 View Post
I work at an insurance company. Obviously I can't speak for all companies but at mine as long as baby goes home with mom it all gets billed under mom and her deductible. But if baby has to stay then it gets charged under baby an applies to baby's deductible. Or in the case of no deductible you pay one inpatient copay unless baby stays longer than you each pay one.
A previous poster mentioned that her deductible covered baby's room and board, but not the pediatrician, hearing test, etc. Does your company work that way, or does the whole stay get covered under mom?

I actually work in a hospital and sit near the insurance verification ladies...so I hear them say baby is covered under mom's policy for 30 days in most cases...but I never really though that meant you didn't have to pay seperately for baby. It woudl be such a releif if that happened!
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote