Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
should i give her more???

dd takes 4oz of BM every 3 hours. but when the bottle is gone she screams until she realizes her pac i is in her mouth but theres no way she could need more, right? she is 4.5 months and 10lbs.....could it be the reflux and that she just wants to suck???any opinions?
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: should i give her more???

If she'll eat, I'd let her eat. She may be going through a growth spurt. If she throws up afterwards, then you'll know that it is too much. I've always nursed on demand.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
If she'll eat, I'd let her eat. She may be going through a growth spurt. If she throws up afterwards, then you'll know that it is too much. I've always nursed on demand.
yeah i nursed my others on demand....she has reflux, she always spits up. sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm-- My DD is 8 weeks and 12lbs and takes 3.5oz every 3 hours. Granted this is only the third day I have been back to work but each time she is happy after.

I would try increasing the amount by a 1/2 ounce and see if that helps. If it doesn't make a difference go back to the 4oz and give her the paci.

Another thought--could it be too much at one time? Maybe try a little less and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Nerissa; 11-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

No. That's plenty for a breastfed baby. Use the kellymom milk calculator for reference

Bottle feeding does not equal breastfeeding. They both feed baby but are DIFFERENT methods. The tummy is the size of her fist. Breastfed babies tend to eat once ounce per hour. I'd honestly feed closer to 2-2.5 hours. And that amount of ounces.

Remember breastfed babies must WORK to eat. A bottle fed baby is force fed. Each swallow creates a vacuum that fills their mouths, forcing another swallow. They do not work for this. So that 'suck urge' is not satisfied. It's also not the same experience as nursing. So crying is common. A bottle fed baby often eats until they are over stuffed and then learns to require that over stuffed feeling.

I real a study in my lactation course where they had found a correlation with bottle feeding and obesity later in life- the thought is not that it's the bottle- but that it's over feeding by the bottle that could lead to this.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
No. That's plenty for a breastfed baby. Use the kellymom milk calculator for reference

Bottle feeding does not equal breastfeeding. They both feed baby but are DIFFERENT methods. The tummy is the size of her fist. Breastfed babies tend to eat once ounce per hour. I'd honestly feed closer to 2-2.5 hours. And that amount of ounces.

Remember breastfed babies must WORK to eat. A bottle fed baby is force fed. Each swallow creates a vacuum that fills their mouths, forcing another swallow. They do not work for this. So that 'suck urge' is not satisfied. It's also not the same experience as nursing. So crying is common. A bottle fed baby often eats until they are over stuffed and then learns to require that over stuffed feeling.

I real a study in my lactation course where they had found a correlation with bottle feeding and obesity later in life- the thought is not that it's the bottle- but that it's over feeding by the bottle that could lead to this.
thats exactly why i havent given her more. she doesnt/cant suck anyways. she WANTS to but lacks the muscle strength in her mouth. she kind of just gnaws on it. so im thinking that suck necessitty isnt being met
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386
thats exactly why i havent given her more. she doesnt/cant suck anyways. she WANTS to but lacks the muscle strength in her mouth. she kind of just gnaws on it. so im thinking that suck necessitty isnt being met
Yes, sometimes a nonpaci baby will accept it if mommy holds it there during a swaddle or whatever. Then they can suck while they sleep too. Bonus!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Yes, sometimes a nonpaci baby will accept it if mommy holds it there during a swaddle or whatever. Then they can suck while they sleep too. Bonus!
lol no she loves her paci just has issues sucking on anything. but she loves having it in her mouth and chewing on it
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

4.5 months old and 10 lbs? Was she a preemie?

My 13 lbs 9 weeker takes 4 oz every 3 hours and screams afterward
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
katydid6952
Registered Users
seller

my 20-lb 4.5 month old takes (6) 5.5-6oz bottles of breastmilk a day.