Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
WHY are MILs so terrible?

Or in-laws period.

Why is it that I can get along civilly with 99% of people I come into contact with but 2 minutes with my mil turns me into the hulk?

I tried to Google up factual, scientific reasons for why so many wives and mils hate each other but it was mostly just "mothers still trying to mother blah blah."
Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WHY are MILs so terrible?

Haha. Please vent some more! I wish sometimes I could put a plug in her mouth. She saw my son's amber teething necklace and the first thing she said was "all I'm going to do is make fun of him until you take that off...." What?!?!?! You are ACTUALLY going to make fun of a 9 month old. What a monster!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol. I feel the same way. Not all my IL's but definitely MIL and BIL and SIL. They make me want to
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

YES!!! I have no idea why, I get along with 99% of people, but my MIL, NO WAY. I think it is the mother bear in me!! Something about wanting to raise my children how I want to. I dont care how she would do it, or her opinions. I know what I want and that is how it is to be done! LOL Oh I could really write a book about her.
SAHM to Zander (9/16/09) ,Drezden (12/16/2010) , Syler (5/16/2012) and Ryker (8/9/2013) Katara (3/1/2015) :web: Baby #6 due 2/22/2017
AleahDeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know...BUT my ex-mil are still friends, even 9 years after her son left the boys and me.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I absolutely love my MIL. And FIL isn't so bad either! I consider myself to be incredibly blessed.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

My MIL and I don't see eye to eye at ALL on anything. DH agrees that we would never, ever choose her as a friend, given the choice. But, because she is all we have in the grandparent department we take what we can get and we try to be there for her.

What I often wonder is how can someone with whom I have so little in common, who I think is incredibly immature and self-centred have raised the person I am choosing as my life partner and who I love? How is that possible?

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 11-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
My MIL and I don't see eye to eye at ALL on anything. DH agrees that we would never, ever choose her as a friend, given the choice. But, because she is all we have in the grandparent department we take what we can get and we try to be there for her.

What I often wonder is how can someone with whom I have so little in common, who I think is incredibly immature and self-centred have raised the person I am choosing as my life partner and who I love? How is that possible?
You saved me a lot of typing there.

I think it may be because there is so much intimacy and love that surrounds these two women but doesn't bind them together, you know? Plus, I think men become complacent when they are single and then wives step in a bit but they are still going along to get along and then BAM, there's a kid and soul searching and you start to realize that yeah, you've got opinions on this stuff and furthermore you deserve respect. Respect that is never forthcoming enough from that evil, evil woman your mother in law.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I absolutely love my MIL. And FIL isn't so bad either! I consider myself to be incredibly blessed.
Ditto this! I love my MIL and FIL. They're my *real* parents to me. They're fatastic, generous, intelligent people. They offer advice but understant that we need to parent on our own terms.

My poor DH is the one who got the crappy-end of the stick in the in-law department. My parents are nutty and awful...
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
Ditto this! I love my MIL and FIL. They're my *real* parents to me. They're fatastic, generous, intelligent people. They offer advice but understant that we need to parent on our own terms.

My poor DH is the one who got the crappy-end of the stick in the in-law department. My parents are nutty and awful...
That's how it is with us also. I consider my inlaws my "real" family.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote