Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
I am going crazy (death mentioned)

The anniversary of my mother's death is coming up. I don't dwell on it (I try not to), but I am one to remember dates. For the last week or two I have smelled her perfume at the oddest times and in the oddest places. It's not a perfume I particularly like. I don't have any in the house, in fact I don't think her perfume has ever been in this house because we moved well after she died. I did keep a bottle for a time, but pitched it when we moved. I have not rifled through anything sentimental, which might have disturbed some scent in an item. I am smelling it at home, in the car and out and about as well. Tonight, I smelled it while standing at the dance studio, waiting for DD to come out of her dance class. Possibly someone else was wearing it, but the other times?

I know scent memory is strong, but this is insanity.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I am going crazy (death mentioned)

Smelling the perfume would freak me out too! Sorry about your mother's passing. I hope you can get through this anniversary with peace and comfort.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

That happened to my mother when her mother passed. She finally realized that she had a candle on the side table in the same scent as her mother's perfume AND my mother had a small sample of the perfume in the very bottom of her purse which she forgot about.

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hugs. Many hugs.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
If I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, I can smell my grandmother. She's been gone for 7 years and 4 days. mama.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-19-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so sorry for your loss. This happens to my mum as well; I haven't smelled her perfume without smelling it if you know what I mean but it's very distinctive, so it's a big deal to my mother. I like to think of my Granny wafting round her and through her.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3
The anniversary of my mother's death is coming up. I don't dwell on it (I try not to), but I am one to remember dates. For the last week or two I have smelled her perfume at the oddest times and in the oddest places. It's not a perfume I particularly like. I don't have any in the house, in fact I don't think her perfume has ever been in this house because we moved well after she died. I did keep a bottle for a time, but pitched it when we moved. I have not rifled through anything sentimental, which might have disturbed some scent in an item. I am smelling it at home, in the car and out and about as well. Tonight, I smelled it while standing at the dance studio, waiting for DD to come out of her dance class. Possibly someone else was wearing it, but the other times?

I know scent memory is strong, but this is insanity.
I don't think your crazy at all! I just think your mom is still watching over you
B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think memories can manifest in a lot of ways and when you are thinking about someone you miss a lot, it is easier to pay closer attention to details about them you might otherwise miss. I'm not positive if I believe in ghosts/spirits but I've had a lot of interesting encounters involving my grandpa who passed away 10 years ago that sound very similar to what you're describing...maybe there is more to it?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
That happened to my mother when her mother passed. She finally realized that she had a candle on the side table in the same scent as her mother's perfume AND my mother had a small sample of the perfume in the very bottom of her purse which she forgot about.

That is exactly what I thought, but no... New purse with next to nothing in it and nothing that smells like her. I can almost taste it sometimes it is so strong.

Thanks, mamas. I wanted to multi-quote everyone. It has been 6 years this year, and I am in very a different place, finally. I don't disagree that she may be watching over me, but I wish I knew what she was trying to tell me.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
I think memories can manifest in a lot of ways and when you are thinking about someone you miss a lot, it is easier to pay closer attention to details about them you might otherwise miss. I'm not positive if I believe in ghosts/spirits but I've had a lot of interesting encounters involving my grandpa who passed away 10 years ago that sound very similar to what you're describing...maybe there is more to it?
What ever happened with the picture? I have been thinking of you... Not to hijack my own thread, but it is kind of the same topic).