Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
steph410's Avatar
steph410
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,096
My Mood:
Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-section?

I'm only 20 weeks now, but because my last baby had shoulder dystocia and was 10lbs 7oz, my doctor is bringing up the possibility of a scheduled c-section. He says it sort of casually, not like pressuring me, but I definitely don't want a c-section. I've vaginally delivered 4 children without major problems and they were all over 9lbs.

Is it unwise of me to try to steer clear of any talk of a c-section.
And do you think it's likely that my doctor will try to come up with "excuses" for why I need a c-section as the due date gets closer?

I really just want to have another natural birth.
__________________
Catholic mom to five wonderful little boys- we welcomed our newest baby on 4/6/13

Last edited by steph410; 11-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
my2sweets's Avatar
my2sweets
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,910
My Mood:
Dd2 had sd and was 10lb 6oz. My doc gave me options. Her 1st was not to worry and have a c-sec at 40wks. I told her I didnt care for that idea at all.

Her next suggestion was to start having u/s to measure his size at 37wks and if he weighed 8+lbs we could do an amino to check his lungs, if they were good deliver him then. I didnt like that idea either.

So then she suggested we just keep an eye on my weight/measurements, if they seemed big, measure him at 38wks and if 8+ lbs deliver him then.

Last wk at my 34wk check my measurements/weight were good. She felt him, said he didnt feel overly big to her, asked if I felt he was to big(no), and said she felt comfortable not doing the u/s if I was and just inducing at 39wks(dd2 was induced at 39wks2days) to be on the safe side. I am completely comfortable with that plan.

I dont think its unwise to avoid a csec if possible. I have no idea if your doc will push it. I would think its hard to say at this point since youre only half way there. Bring up your concerns at your next appt and gauge his reaction/advice then. Gl mama
__________________
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 11-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
steph410's Avatar
steph410
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,096
My Mood:
Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

very interesting. thanks for sharing. I would love to find out how everything goes for you- hopefully perfectly & with no problems!
__________________
Catholic mom to five wonderful little boys- we welcomed our newest baby on 4/6/13
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
My 7th baby had dystocia and she was only 8pounds 14 ounces.

My ob said that would have no bearing on my next delivery even if baby is large again. But my ob is super laid back.

I would not consent to a section because of previous dystocia or large baby. All my babies have been average weight. No clue why my last was a pound larger than my biggest. I dont think my next will be as big. (Not that i think 8,14 is all that large. Lol)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
KelseyH's Avatar
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
I would not consent to a section because of previous dystocia or large baby.
This. I wouldn't consent to a section or early induction (pre-42 weeks). JMO.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
This. I wouldn't consent to a section or early induction (pre-42 weeks). JMO.
This.

My DS had some dystocia. He was 9lbs 3oz. It was not a serious problem, thankfully. When we realized he was stuck, we just a changed positions and he came out within a few pushes.

My next baby was 7lbs 8oz and there were no issues.

I think dystocia can be caused by position as well as size, not size only. I could be mistaken though. That would explain why smaller babies can have dystocia, too.

I don't think a previous experience with labor/birth is a really great reason to have a major surgery, or consent to tons of interventions "just in case" .... EVERY birth can be so so so so different.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Christylkeller's Avatar
Christylkeller
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 949
My Mood:
Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

My SIL had a 10lbs 15.5 oz baby with SD and they *made* her have a c-section with her next child, who was 2 lbs smaller. She says she wishes she never had a c-section. Best wishes with making a decision and working with your dr.
__________________
Daughter of the Risen King, Loving wife to Joe,

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
happymama1's Avatar
happymama1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,897
My Mood:
Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

My dear friend has had SD with 2 of her children...2nd child had a severe bracial plexus injury. Her 3rd baby was teeny tiny (somehow got the recessive teeny genes). None of her babies were over 9lbs. Her 4th measured big the entire pregnancy and after much prayer and consideration, consented to a c-section. This baby was only 8 1/2lbs, with such broad shoulders that the doctor had trouble getting him out via c-section with the standard size incision! Thank God she had that c-section.

Honestly, I'd give it lots of prayer...avoid sugar and keep carbs to a minimum...get plenty of exercise, and see how the baby measures as time goes on.
__________________
wife to mama to my
never forgetting my tiny babies 11/13/09, 4/12/2012, 5/24/2012, 4/22/2014
hoping for another baby
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

to you for having to decide this. I just had my 6th baby. I don't think we are going to have more, but I'm going to be facing this decision if we do. My baby is 6wks old and he had mild SD. His clavicle was broken. He was 9lbs 1oz, almost 2lbs bigger than my next biggest. I'm sure I don't want a c-sec, but if I have another baby, I'll be nervous for sure. *sigh*
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,275
Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

My first son was a severe shoulder dystocia with a severe, lifelong brachial plexus injury for him and broken tailbone/severe tearing for me.

It took a long while (around 34 weeks pregnant), but I found a doctor who was willing to let me have a trial of labor with my second (I went through 3). I had a lot of red flags with my first labor of an impending s/d, so we thought if I showed even 1 sign, we'd go right in for the c/s. I was going to have to sign a document stating I knew the risks and would hold no one responsible if anything happened. Well, I ate perfectly and worked out 6 days a week with #2 and prayed that God would shut the doors if a vaginal birth would not be the healthiest for my baby. I would rather have surgery than another one of my babies have the surgeries, therapies, and limited movement that #1 had! Well, my second son turned breech 7 days before his due date!!! The doctor tried 5x to externally rotate him with no luck. It started contx and it was like, "Okay, God, you are shutting the door. I trust Your plan over my own and will take comfort in it." He gave me such a peace.
I got wheeled in for the c-section and my 2nd kiddo was 1 lb heavier than my first!!! 9.9 to 10.3. I was very thankful God shut that door.

-It wasn't till after his c-section that I learned that moms who experience a shoulder dystocia have a 7x GREATER chance of another one occuring. It made me so thankful to have had the c-section. I did everything to lessen risks of s/d with my first and it was so severe (homebirth, no induction/interventions, moving during labor and pushing, etc) and he needed resuscitated and got so injured. I think if I had tried to have my second son, he would have fared even worse.
I had a c-section with #3 and #4 as well.

They suck, but they do a better job of getting my babies healthy into this world than my vaginal birth did. Surgery is not fun to recover from, but my oldest son goes through so much that I'd go through a million surgeries to not have another child go through that.

There are a few threads maybe a couple pages back about this topic. S/d are very scary and many times the baby suffers (as you'll read if you go through them). It's not an easy thing to figure out what to do next time.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.