Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
mmlsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Am I alone in thinking that my 7 year old shouldn't be singing the "sexy lady" verse in that weird gangham style song. How did she even hear it? I have never even heard that song before! Am I alone in thinking my 4 year old shouldn't want tour of duty for Christmas? What even is that? We don't even have a game box of any kind! and how does my 2 year old want to play angry birds- I don't even have it on my phone??? They don't watch commercial TV so I know they are picking all this junk up from newspaper ads, school, daycare or where ever but whatever happened to kids staying kids as long as possible and what is wrong with me wanting that?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Re: Having a hard time with trying to keep my kids-kids

Your not alone My sister and I just had this disagreement last night. I keep my kids home and she just thinks they are missing out on so much. Little kids are growing up so fast and I honestly don't feel that video games/iphones/12 activities are more important then playing and (more importantly) spending time with mommy
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids do not play video games that are not for CHILDREN. They would have to pick my dang jaw off the floor if they asked for a video game like that. Holy sheep. We also do not glorify the work my husband does. There will never be any combat games in my home. Ever.

So it can be done. I feel strongly about this. If you want your a children to not be allowed to sing the song or the game- simply explain why. My kids get it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

LOL. I agree!!!!

Personally, this is why I "shelter" my poor, deprived kids and they don't attend public school or daycare.

They can play at the park or museum under my direct supervision, or in the backyard, or with kids who I know.

B/c of exactly this reason. I *want* them to be different. And innocent.

( I know not every family has this option. Not looking for a debate. )
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
LOL. I agree!!!!

Personally, this is why I "shelter" my poor, deprived kids and they don't attend public school or daycare.

They can play at the park or museum under my direct supervision, or in the backyard, or with kids who I know.

same here
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
LOL. I agree!!!!

Same here. I also screen my kids friends pretty closely. DS2 watched something pretty scary at a friends one time and we had to put an end to going over to their house.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
moms5angels
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Same here. I also screen my kids friends pretty closely. DS2 watched something pretty scary at a friends one time and we had to put an end to going over to their house.
i do the same too! so nice to see ppl do the same things i do! alot of ppl think im werd.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moms5angels View Post
i do the same too! so nice to see ppl do the same things i do! alot of ppl think im werd.
add me to this list!

If I think a kid has a nasty attitude, we avoid them. If it's bad enough (which has only happened once), I don't allow my kids to associate with them.

People rub off on other people. So you should keep friends that you want to be like, b/c you will inevitably become like them in SOME ways. Same is true for kids. And I keep a strict eye on it b/c I want my kids to be a certain way. So their associates are chosen carefully, and restricted to those we approve of.

It is the same with entertainment. We either screen it before they see it if it is questionable, we watch it with them if we think it's probably okay, or there are a select handful of shows they are allowed to watch without us in the room (Curious George, Pinky Dinky Doo, etc) but we are always within earshot, or we already have seen it/know it is safe.

We are very selective about what gets into their brains. Can't stop everything, obviously, but what we CAN control, we do. And I don't feel one bit bad about it at all.

Obviously, as they age, and life goes on, they will have (and NEED) opportunities to select their own friends and their own entertainment. But the hope is that all of the training they are getting now on choosing good friends and good entertainment will stick with them and they will make good choices as a result.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
moms5angels
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
add me to this list!

If I think a kid has a nasty attitude, we avoid them. If it's bad enough (which has only happened once), I don't allow my kids to associate with them.

People rub off on other people. So you should keep friends that you want to be like, b/c you will inevitably become like them in SOME ways. Same is true for kids. And I keep a strict eye on it b/c I want my kids to be a certain way. So their associates are chosen carefully, and restricted to those we approve of.

It is the same with entertainment. We either screen it before they see it if it is questionable, we watch it with them if we think it's probably okay, or there are a select handful of shows they are allowed to watch without us in the room (Curious George, Pinky Dinky Doo, etc) but we are always within earshot, or we already have seen it/know it is safe.

We are very selective about what gets into their brains. Can't stop everything, obviously, but what we CAN control, we do. And I don't feel one bit bad about it at all.

Obviously, as they age, and life goes on, they will have (and NEED) opportunities to select their own friends and their own entertainment. But the hope is that all of the training they are getting now on choosing good friends and good entertainment will stick with them and they will make good choices as a result.
r u my lost sister? i do the same things & never hear the end of it from some ppl.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlsmom View Post
Am I alone in thinking that my 7 year old shouldn't be singing the "sexy lady" verse in that weird gangham style song. How did she even hear it? I have never even heard that song before! Am I alone in thinking my 4 year old shouldn't want tour of duty for Christmas? What even is that? We don't even have a game box of any kind! and how does my 2 year old want to play angry birds- I don't even have it on my phone??? They don't watch commercial TV so I know they are picking all this junk up from newspaper ads, school, daycare or where ever but whatever happened to kids staying kids as long as possible and what is wrong with me wanting that?
You are not alone! My 4 yo came home from daycare singing "I love you like a love song baby"....what on earth?!?! I had never even heard that song before! Ugh! She wants to be so grown up and I just want her to stay little for as long as possible.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote