Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Refusing cervical checks

I'm 38.5 weeks and am fearing my next cervical check. With my son, 5 years ago, I was 2 days from my due date and my OB performed one. Seconds later he said "whoops" and informed me that my waters had broken and to go immediately to the hospital with DH. I had a horrible delivery, was immobile the whole time, and had mean nurses and an unfamiliar OB since my labor was so long.

I'm terrified of this happening again even though I chose a midwife this time and expressed my concerns with her. I will also be at a different hospital. But the fear lingers and I am wondering if I should refuse the next check?

Thus far my pregnancy has been normal wont out any issues or concerns.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Refusing cervical checks

I would refuse...it isn't really all that indicative of much anyhow. I have heard of mamas being dilated for weeks or not being dilated at all and birthing that night.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76
I would refuse...it isn't really all that indicative of much anyhow. I have heard of mamas being dilated for weeks or not being dilated at all and birthing that night.
This. No reason to have your cervix checked. Whatever they could determine could change in a moment anyway... I find them to be more discouraging than anything.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post

I didn't dilate at all until I was well into labor.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

i refused with my first daughter. Didn't get one till I went to the hospital cause my water broke. 2nd little one I got one at 36 wks cause I was having contractions and I was 2cm and had her 2 days later. This baby I just get U/S to check cervical length. Your body you tell them what you want done. There is no real reason to do them before you go in to labor.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Now I am very upset. I am talking to my friend about my appointment and how it went and she says it sounds like the OB who I saw this time because midwife was out did a membrane sweep. The OB did say she felt baby's head and I had heard her mumble "sweep" while in there but thought I had misheard. I have been exhausted and am still working so I was sure she hadn't done this to me. But the check did take longer and was uncomfortable. I want to cry.

I was 3.5 cm already and there was no need for a sweep. I had even told her that since I work in one state and live in another and am home alone, I might not deliver at this particular hospital nearby. I requested my files in case I had to go to the one near my house and they said I would be able to have it at my appointment next week.

Last edited by keonli; 11-29-2012 at 06:22 PM.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Now I am very upset. I am talking to my friend about my appointment and how it went and she says it sounds like the OB who I saw this time because midwife was out did a membrane sweep. The OB did say she felt baby's head and I had heard her mumble "sweep" while in there but thought I had misheard. I have been exhausted and am still working so I was sure she hadn't done this to me. But the check did take longer and was uncomfortable. I want to cry.

I was 3.5 cm already and there was no need for a sweep. I had even told her that since I work in one state and live in another and am home alone, I might not deliver at this particular hospital nearby. I requested my files in case I had to go to the one near my house and they said I would be able to have it at my appointment next week.
I am sorry they did that to you. Just because she swept your membranes it doesn't mean you'll automatically go into labor. I think you should refuse any further checks, their isn't any real reason for them, you don't want them and it will keep you from having any more accidental sweeps.

My plan is to refuse until I am in labor and only be checked to make sure I am complete. As long as everything goes routinely midwife is okay with that. I'll let her sweep me if I get close to 42 weeks otherwise no. I don't want a bunch of fingers in my hoo-haa constantly but I just might be weird about that.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yup. I was tight and a 1 on my due date with my second. He was born 12-18 hours later.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first doctor didn't do them, and I informed this doctor that I would be refusing them before we even TTC, she is fine with that.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

You had your membranes swept today or last time?
For what its worth, my OB stripped my membranes with my first and I had a HUGE no kidding around, business only, contraction right there on the table. That was the first of many and I gave birth the next day. So maybe if they do a sweep but your body doesn't respond with labor symptoms it doesn't move things along as much?