Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
cmaniezzz
Registered Users
seller
seller

HELP! I want to work but don't know where to start

I really want to work out of home.. The thing is I don't know where to start. I don't have a US degree although I'm college graduate in Indonesia. Before I got pregnant, I tried to apply through temp agency, but never got one. But I did work at Chipotle the restaurant for a year before DS is born. I think I can get my old job back there, but I want something more stable.
Should I try temp agency again? or just start working at retail?

Knita's Knitting YYMN/MYMN custom
Like myFacebook page to win free YYMN
cmaniezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! I want to work but don't know where to start

I'd try a temp agency again, what kind of experience do you have?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is your degree in?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
k_21
Registered Users

I second trying the temp agency again. I worked for a university's temp agency off and on for a year, and if I hadn't moved out of state it would have led to a permanent position.

And I'm not sure, but most companies would probably still consider your university degree a positive. Depending on the field you may not be certified to use it in the US, but if nothing else it shows you can put in the work required to complete something challenging and time consuming.
k_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a resume? Are there any large corporations in your area? Also curious what your degree is in and what your work background is. I'm thinking larger manufacturing corporations may well find your background an asset. There is no harm in applying directing to companies, but the question is -- what would you like to do? Do you want to work in an office environment?
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
bwithfamily
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know you said you want to work OUT of the home, but have you considered working from home? I've been working around my 7 year old and 5 year old twins for 5 years now! What I love most is spending time with my family while bringing in the income we need every month! I couldn't imagine looking for a job, let alone having one and worrying about being laid off in this economy! I know it's tough out there and it's great that I get to help so many families in need of a replacement or part time income! If you're interested, feel free to message me for details. There's nothing to sell, no parties, inventory or large investment. I just market for a health and wellness manufacturing company similar to a Costco or Sams Club!
bwithfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

You should get your degree evaluated by an accredited degree evaluation company. I am a career counselor and many international job seekers have been able to apply their education and experience from their home country here in the U.S. Based on your degree evaluation results, you may or may not need to take a few extra courses at a local university. Still, that upfront investment would be minimal compared to all the doors that degree will open for you. Depending on what your degree is in, there may be separate licensure necessary including national, state, and county. I would be happy to help you further so feel free to PM me. I am currently giving away 28 hours of career services (1 hour free per person) as part of a Facebook project called Give 28 where you give 28 things in love/kindness in response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook.
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote