Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
abbysparkles
Registered Users
seller

Diaper Rash

My 3 month old son has been battling diaper rash for about a week now. When we are home (which is most of the time), he wears cotton prefolds with a Thirsties cover. When we are out and about, he wears BG 4.0 or the Thirsties Stay Dry Insert and cover. For overnights, he wears the BG Freetime. I've been using Thirsties Booty Love and Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm to try to clear up the rash. I'm pleased with both products but it seems the rash will almost clear up then come back again. I'm wondering if it's the prefolds... the wetness being right against his skin? He has even been getting red on his belly, where the top of the prefold rests. Could it be that I'm not changing him often enough? Or could it be that his skin is too sensitive to the wetness being directly against it?
Thanks so much!
abbysparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Rash

My first thought was about the wetness being next to his skin. Try that first to see if it helps. Use the BG 4.0 more or lay some fleece liners over the prefolds. You can make your own from store bought fleece.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
abbysparkles
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! So do I just buy regular fleece from the fabric store and cut it to size? How big would it need to be?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes regular fleece. I would try to find the thinnest you can so you don't add bulk. I would lay the fleece on top of the prefold in the cover and cut from there. Just making sure it is all covered but not sticking out once on your baby. Try your 4.0's at night if your ds is going long stretches.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try to find Microfleece, which is very thin fleece (you don't want to use the thicker fleece - harder for the moisture to pass through to the diaper)
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I could not find microfleece at my local stores. All they had was the no tie blacket fleece. I never did try the internet.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know stay dry is popular, but my first thought was sensitivity to that. Guess it depends on when the rash starts flaring...
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
mamalinaaaa
Registered Users
seller

No help but the same thing is happening with us and freetimes are our main diaper. What kind of rash is it? I feel like the stay dry is whats bothering us
mamalinaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
abbysparkles
Registered Users
seller

He gets red around his genital area and on his lower tummy where the top of the diaper rests. I'm not sure what's causing it... the prefolds, the stay dry of the BG 4.0/Freetime. We use all three but it seems worse after using prefolds. I'll definitely look into the microfleece. Thanks so much, ladies!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Made of Fleece
Registered Users
Formerly: cidcatrichards
seller

Get the cheapest fleece from walmart, they tend to be thinner. Microfleece off the bolt tends to be expensive, but they're ideal. I can send you a fewFFS liners if you'd like (send me a PM). I hate rashy bums. DD was the same. =( We went through a lot of 40% zinc oxide.