Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
BNC's Avatar
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 19,504
messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

I have always had a very regular, very long cycle (38days before I started having kids and 36 days after). I have breast hypoplasia and am not physically able to bf. My cycle normally returns around 6weeks pp.

With my last baby, my cycle came back normally, was regular for 16 months, then this June started going crazy. I had 3 full periods with spotting between over a 45 day period (June to mid July), and have had bright red spotting in between cycles since then (and my cycle range from 33 to 36 days).

I have excruciating, stop me in my tracks, feels like transition labor pains, cramps on the first day of my period since laney was born. every single month. I never had significant cramps before.

I went to the midwife in august who did blood work to test my thyroid, and a full exam and pap. Everything came back normal.

Just wondering if anyone has had this drastic of a change in their cycle so long after birth?
__________________
Jen -momma to MaryKate 12/13/07, Kara 7/22/09, Adalane "Laney" 2/9/11, ^angel^ 10/13, & Jacob 8/21/14

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,275
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

Was progesterone suggested (in patch or cream) to get you back on track?

The only time I had crazy, weird bleeding after my 2nd son, was when I was pregnant and didn't realize I was miscarrying. After 6 weeks of bleeding heavy and then it lightening up and then spotting lightly again and then 1 day of no bleeding and then heavy bleeding again, (it was exhausting) I called my OB and asked his thoughts and at first he thought my period was out of whack (via phone) and prescribed progesterone to get it back on track. Got it, read it, and it said not to take while pregnant, so i thought I'd take a test (don't know why) and it was positive. Went in for a u/s and the baby was not formed right and I was trying to miscarry it naturally. Asked if we could hold off on a D&C and give me a few more weeks (really wanted to avoid it because of scarring risk) and it took me another 3 weeks, but I passed the rest. Had to take iron to keep my energy up because I was so tired.

ANyway, are you sure you aren't pregnant??? If you are sure, could you ask about progesterone to help get you back on track (I think I was prescribed it for one month because that usually does the trick). Just some thoughts.

((hugs)) on the pain! After my c-sections, I have really painful periods (but no issues on irregularity since the miscarriages). I hope you find an answer soon! Could you go in for an ultrasound and see how thick your lining is? Isn't this a symptom of endometreosis (just a whim)?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
BNC's Avatar
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 19,504
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Was progesterone suggested (in patch or cream) to get you back on track?

The only time I had crazy, weird bleeding after my 2nd son, was when I was pregnant and didn't realize I was miscarrying. After 6 weeks of bleeding heavy and then it lightening up and then spotting lightly again and then 1 day of no bleeding and then heavy bleeding again, (it was exhausting) I called my OB and asked his thoughts and at first he thought my period was out of whack (via phone) and prescribed progesterone to get it back on track. Got it, read it, and it said not to take while pregnant, so i thought I'd take a test (don't know why) and it was positive. Went in for a u/s and the baby was not formed right and I was trying to miscarry it naturally. Asked if we could hold off on a D&C and give me a few more weeks (really wanted to avoid it because of scarring risk) and it took me another 3 weeks, but I passed the rest. Had to take iron to keep my energy up because I was so tired.

ANyway, are you sure you aren't pregnant??? If you are sure, could you ask about progesterone to help get you back on track (I think I was prescribed it for one month because that usually does the trick). Just some thoughts.

((hugs)) on the pain! After my c-sections, I have really painful periods (but no issues on irregularity since the miscarriages). I hope you find an answer soon! Could you go in for an ultrasound and see how thick your lining is? Isn't this a symptom of endometreosis (just a whim)?
Im not pregnant...they did a blood test at the office in august and I have taken multiple home tests since then.

I will ask about the progesterone at my next appointment - thanks!
__________________
Jen -momma to MaryKate 12/13/07, Kara 7/22/09, Adalane "Laney" 2/9/11, ^angel^ 10/13, & Jacob 8/21/14

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

How old are you? Could it be you are having some peri-menopausal or menopausal symptoms? Hope that does not offend you. Some women start experiencing changes pretty early on. My mother started to have strange bleeding, and whacky cycles around age 38, and she is in her late 50s and is still going through menopause, with whacky cycles and strange bleeding.

If all of your labs came back normal, I would just say your hormones are changing as your body is changing. While it is annoying (and maybe a bit scary for someone who has had such regular cycles for so long!) I don't think it is something to be overly alarmed about, unless some tests start coming back showing something seriously wrong. OR you start having other symptoms.

I have never had a predictable period before kids. Ever. I'd go four months without a period, have one, then have another two weeks later, then not have one for a month, then bleed for two weeks....... My period didn't even resemble something "normal" until after I had my DS. Then my period would come within a wide range of days - about every 35-45 days. It evened out closer to 38 days after I had my 3rd kid. And now I am pg again. Who knows what's in store after this LO is born. For me, it's just a part of life. And cramps are also normal for many, many women.

I know it sucks. If all your tests are normal, and there are no other symptoms, I would not be worried.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
BNC's Avatar
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 19,504
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
How old are you? Could it be you are having some peri-menopausal or menopausal symptoms? Hope that does not offend you. Some women start experiencing changes pretty early on. My mother started to have strange bleeding, and whacky cycles around age 38, and she is in her late 50s and is still going through menopause, with whacky cycles and strange bleeding.

If all of your labs came back normal, I would just say your hormones are changing as your body is changing. While it is annoying (and maybe a bit scary for someone who has had such regular cycles for so long!) I don't think it is something to be overly alarmed about, unless some tests start coming back showing something seriously wrong. OR you start having other symptoms.

I have never had a predictable period before kids. Ever. I'd go four months without a period, have one, then have another two weeks later, then not have one for a month, then bleed for two weeks....... My period didn't even resemble something "normal" until after I had my DS. Then my period would come within a wide range of days - about every 35-45 days. It evened out closer to 38 days after I had my 3rd kid. And now I am pg again. Who knows what's in store after this LO is born. For me, it's just a part of life. And cramps are also normal for many, many women.

I know it sucks. If all your tests are normal, and there are no other symptoms, I would not be worried.
Im 29, so hopefully not! I know cramps are normal, but thsse seriously feel like im in transition agd about to push out a baby, lol. I hope other women dont regularly experience that, lol!
__________________
Jen -momma to MaryKate 12/13/07, Kara 7/22/09, Adalane "Laney" 2/9/11, ^angel^ 10/13, & Jacob 8/21/14

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

All I can add is that my friend's cycle was wonky after birth. I don't know when it started getting wonky or even when it came (she EBF for a year), but I know that it was 2x as long as normal when her kiddo was 18months old.

so I think that lots of things can mess up your cycles and still be within the range of 'normal'.
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

my sister has always been practically on bedrest from cramps.. I think it is normal for some women. unfortunately.
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: messed up cycle occuring months after delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
my sister has always been practically on bedrest from cramps.. I think it is normal for some women. unfortunately.
I have IRL friends who have to take a day or two off work and school each month b.c of cramps. They have doc notes for it. Sadly for some, it is normal.

I would check into things like endometriosis, PCOS, etc. Otherwise if that all comes back clear, maybe get some meds?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.