Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
KelseyH's Avatar
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,233
Tell me about your home birth!

I hope this is in the right place... Wasn't sure if parenting or L&D would've been better..

I am planning a home birth and have a pretty good idea of the supplies I'll have on hand (birth pool, basic birth kit, lots of towels , some herbs and tinctures, etc.). I am a compulsive planner, so I want to make sure everything goes off without a hitch and everyone (me, baby, DH, photographer) is as comfortable as possible! What I want to know is - if you have had a home birth, what did you have on hand that you couldn't have lived without, and what did you wish you had that maybe you overlooked? Just want to make sure I have alllllll my bases covered. Thanks!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
nettepoet's Avatar
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: dirty jersey
Posts: 442
Re: Tell me about your home birth!

im a crazy planner, too, so i can relate!

do you have a little fish net for the pool to catch any floaties if you poop? LOL. gross, but necessary.

i liked having my bed made up for labor even though i did a water birth. that way right after the baby was born we hobbled right over to the bed, cord still attached, blood, whatever all over us, and got under the covers to enjoy cuddles/latching, etc, and deliver the placenta. we had one set of sheets on, then plastic and another set of sheets and blankets on top of that. it was nice that we could then strip the bed and just relax without having to do extra work or find clean sheets.

having a little homeopathy kit for labor really came in handy. i had caullophyllum (sp?) for aiding labor, and it did come in handy for when my contractions fizzled out. i had another tincture (dont recall the name of it!) to take to help me deliver the placenta, bc i was DONE after my long labor and needed some encouragement to help it come out.

oh, this isnt about supplies, but just something that happened and i didnt expect it. my son was latching a little funny so my midwife checked his tongue and he had tongue-tie. they cut the little skin attached to his tongue and he barely even squeaked, and then latch was perfect. apparently it can cause big issues (speech, nursing, more...) and is better taken care of right away if your midwives will do it, so you may want to ask just in case. my first didnt have it and i had never heard of it, but it was good to know.

luck to you! it will be great.
__________________
none on the boards, but feedback on LJ here: http://community.livejournal.com/mem...ck/128459.html
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
KelseyH's Avatar
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet
im a crazy planner, too, so i can relate!

do you have a little fish net for the pool to catch any floaties if you poop? LOL. gross, but necessary.

i liked having my bed made up for labor even though i did a water birth. that way right after the baby was born we hobbled right over to the bed, cord still attached, blood, whatever all over us, and got under the covers to enjoy cuddles/latching, etc, and deliver the placenta. we had one set of sheets on, then plastic and another set of sheets and blankets on top of that. it was nice that we could then strip the bed and just relax without having to do extra work or find clean sheets.

having a little homeopathy kit for labor really came in handy. i had caullophyllum (sp?) for aiding labor, and it did come in handy for when my contractions fizzled out. i had another tincture (dont recall the name of it!) to take to help me deliver the placenta, bc i was DONE after my long labor and needed some encouragement to help it come out.

oh, this isnt about supplies, but just something that happened and i didnt expect it. my son was latching a little funny so my midwife checked his tongue and he had tongue-tie. they cut the little skin attached to his tongue and he barely even squeaked, and then latch was perfect. apparently it can cause big issues (speech, nursing, more...) and is better taken care of right away if your midwives will do it, so you may want to ask just in case. my first didnt have it and i had never heard of it, but it was good to know.

luck to you! it will be great.
I do have a fish net on my supply list! Hehe. As well as an extra set of sheets and 2 mil drop cloth for making up the bed twice.

Where did you get your homeopathy kit? It's looking to be really expensive to source herbs and make my own tinctures individually, but I haven't found a kit that has everything I need.

We actually won't have a midwife/midwives attending because of the laws in our state and availability of CNMs. Our first son was tongue tied, though, so it's definitely something we will be looking for!

Thanks! We are super excited.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
nettepoet's Avatar
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: dirty jersey
Posts: 442
Re: Tell me about your home birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
Where did you get your homeopathy kit? It's looking to be really expensive to source herbs and make my own tinctures individually, but I haven't found a kit that has everything I need.
im a little spoiled in that my mom is a homeopath, so i just shopped in her supply cabinets for everything i needed.

this guy has great deals on remedies and if you email him with your inquiry, he can probably work with you or suggest things...
http://www.bestmade.us/products.html

the brand "standard" homeopathics is probably the biggest manufacturer in the US and is sold at stores like whole foods, wegmans, and even local mom and pop health food stores. if you want i can PM you a list of remedies and their uses before, during, and after labor. there are even some for newborn issues like difficulty breathing, jaundice, etc.
__________________
none on the boards, but feedback on LJ here: http://community.livejournal.com/mem...ck/128459.html
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
KelseyH's Avatar
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet

im a little spoiled in that my mom is a homeopath, so i just shopped in her supply cabinets for everything i needed.

this guy has great deals on remedies and if you email him with your inquiry, he can probably work with you or suggest things...
http://www.bestmade.us/products.html

the brand "standard" homeopathics is probably the biggest manufacturer in the US and is sold at stores like whole foods, wegmans, and even local mom and pop health food stores. if you want i can PM you a list of remedies and their uses before, during, and after labor. there are even some for newborn issues like difficulty breathing, jaundice, etc.
Yes, please!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
oregonmom's Avatar
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,517
My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your home birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepoet View Post
im a little spoiled in that my mom is a homeopath, so i just shopped in her supply cabinets for everything i needed.

this guy has great deals on remedies and if you email him with your inquiry, he can probably work with you or suggest things...
http://www.bestmade.us/products.html

the brand "standard" homeopathics is probably the biggest manufacturer in the US and is sold at stores like whole foods, wegmans, and even local mom and pop health food stores. if you want i can PM you a list of remedies and their uses before, during, and after labor. there are even some for newborn issues like difficulty breathing, jaundice, etc.
Can you please pm me this list too. Thank you.
__________________
Alisha: SAHM and teacher to 3 great boys 03/2002, 11/2005, 11/2007, and one great girl -03/2013 2 Angel babies 7/2010,10/5/2011-
Come join the swag fun- www.swagbucks.com/refer/monekeysmom
oregonmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
mammacandoit's Avatar
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 163
Re: Tell me about your home birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
I hope this is in the right place... Wasn't sure if parenting or L&D would've been better..

I am planning a home birth and have a pretty good idea of the supplies I'll have on hand (birth pool, basic birth kit, lots of towels , some herbs and tinctures, etc.). I am a compulsive planner, so I want to make sure everything goes off without a hitch and everyone (me, baby, DH, photographer) is as comfortable as possible! What I want to know is - if you have had a home birth, what did you have on hand that you couldn't have lived without, and what did you wish you had that maybe you overlooked? Just want to make sure I have alllllll my bases covered. Thanks!
My 3rd home birth will be taking place any day. Technically I have 12 days left, but we'll see. (hopeful and crossing my fingers that baby will come a bit early).

Here's what I have:
1. The basics: The pool, fishy net, & thermometer (couldn't live without it).
2. CLEAN HOSES for filling up the pool. Totally almost forgot this part until the other day!
3. I put a rocking chair next to my birth area so I can get out of the pool and sit with baby before walking to bed.
4. A few disposable adult diapers to use in conjunction with pads for those first 2 hours after birth. Then I use cloth.
5. HERBS - make sure you have red raspberry leaf handy & cramp bark.
6. in addition to cramp bark, have plenty of Ibuprofen available.
7. Peroxide for cleaning up carpet stains.
8. A list of peeps to call after baby comes.
9. music, lighting, & a space heater for mood and comfort in the room.
10. I make sure I keep my favorite healthy snacks stocked, so when after the baby comes I will have something yummy to eat.
11. My midwife has started recommending that I keep chlorophyll around to help build up my blood after delivery. I'm hoping this will help substantially as I typically loose quite a bit. She is also planning on bringing pitocin this time around for after delivery - apparently she thinks it might help my 'murder scene' (tmi, I know) after delivery. Hopeful.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.
__________________
Daughter Of the King, Wife of Superman, Mamma of 6 & Owner of Mamma Can Do It.
For HUGE coupon savings, Like my Facebook Page. Mamma Can Do It Blog.

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
KelseyH's Avatar
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit

11. My midwife has started recommending that I keep chlorophyll around to help build up my blood after delivery. I'm hoping this will help substantially as I typically loose quite a bit. She is also planning on bringing pitocin this time around for after delivery - apparently she thinks it might help my 'murder scene' (tmi, I know) after delivery. Hopeful.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.
I won't have a midwife, but I am planning on encapsulation, which I know will help the bleeding over the next few days. If I bleed a lot during/immediately after the birth, I'm planning on just eating raw placenta - but only if necessary! Have you done that with any of your past home births? My OB mentioned a script for Cyototec in case of PPH, but I don't know how comfortable I am with that.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH

I won't have a midwife, but I am planning on encapsulation, which I know will help the bleeding over the next few days. If I bleed a lot during/immediately after the birth, I'm planning on just eating raw placenta - but only if necessary! Have you done that with any of your past home births? My OB mentioned a script for Cyototec in case of PPH, but I don't know how comfortable I am with that.
I've seen PPH first hand as a doula. Its supposed to be less likely in a physiologic birth, but being prepared for the worst is what helps me relax. :-)

If I were in your shoes and my oB offered a scrip for cytotec after the delivery I'd take him up on it and save it for if I was showing signs of shock and severe blood loss. Not as a preventative, but if things got bad quickly and we were waiting for an ambulance.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
lynn97's Avatar
lynn97
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,302
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

I've seen PPH first hand as a doula. Its supposed to be less likely in a physiologic birth, but being prepared for the worst is what helps me relax. :-)

If I were in your shoes and my oB offered a scrip for cytotec after the delivery I'd take him up on it and save it for if I was showing signs of shock and severe blood loss. Not as a preventative, but if things got bad quickly and we were waiting for an ambulance.
I would definitely get the rx and have it filled and on hand. I am not a medical professional but I had a PPH after DS and it was terrifying. I will be leaving the hospital with my rx in hand (my OB and I have already talked about it). Like PP said, it should slow things down to get you to the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.