Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another Configuration Question

I need help figuring out the best way to carpool after I have my newbie next month. All 8 seats of my 2012 Odyssey will be filled a couple of days a week when I have carpool duty.

I will have:
1 newb in an SnugRide35 at first (that thing is a beast!), but will probably get a KeyFit in a few months since the SR is borrowed temporarily.
1 3.5yo FF in a TrueFit or Radian
1 5yo in a booster
4 kids not in carseats

There is only one kid of the bunch who is big enough to ride in the front passenger seat, so that problem solves itself. My biggest issue is trying to figure out how to fit the newb and 4yo in the 2nd row (4yo can't buckle his own seat or unbuckle it), while keeping relatively easy access to the third row. My boostered kid will go in the third row. So, my questions:

Does it make any difference if I use the TF vs the Radian as far as space issues go?

I'm thinking of putting the baby in the middle seat, so I can just snap him into the base, and then will have easy access to buckle in the 4yo on the driver side. Will it be easy enough to flip down the 2nd row passenger seat to load the 3rd row?

Is there any reason the 3.5yo should go in the middle seat instead of the baby?

Thank you, if you got this far!!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Another Configuration Question

I probably would put the 3.5 year old in the middle, in the radian (narrower), for two reasons (well, 2.5 reasons!). First, the rule of thumb is "least protected child in the middle," and a forward facing child is always less protected than a rear facing child. Second, I personally have a much easier time loading infant seats if they are closer to the outside of a car (especially vans since they are higher up off the ground). And reason two-and-a-half (not really good enough to be a full reason on its own) is that I expect you'll have an easier time flipping down the 2nd row passenger outboard seat if there's a radian in the middle seat compared to a snugride (especially if you want to move the seat while the snugride is in its base). But I could be wrong about that, which is why it's not a stand-alone full reason.

We don't actually have an Odyssey, so if someone who does comes by and can answer more knowledgeably, I defer to his/her answers.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would do older 3.5 year old in the middle in a Radian (narrower than the bucket), and infant outboard behind the driver so it is easy to drop the bucket in and go, and the boostered child on drivers side in the way back, so that the other non-boostered kids don't have to crawl over the booster. By using a Radian, you should be able to get the passenger side (which in theory would be closest to the curb) to go down easy so kids can crawl in and out for drop off/pickup.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input!