Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
lovebear
Registered Users

Wrists tied up on both sides of the operating table

Was it a standard procedure for a mother to be tied on both wrists on the operating table while undergoing C-Section? I had C-Section twice and they tied both of my wrists on the sides of the table. I realized that I was tied up after I woke up and was already sealed up. I forgot to ask my OB about it.
lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Wrists tied up on both sides of the operating table

hmm, I've had 3 c/s and was not tied up any of the times. I specifically told the dr's who delivered me that I didn't want to be tied as i will make me freak out and panic.The first dr said they don't tie you unless they need to, if you freak out and try to get up or grab at the curtain or whatever. He delivered my second and third children, the dr who delivered my last baby also didn't tie my hands, they told me make sure I didn't try and grab for the curtain.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
lovebear
Registered Users

Oh I see. I didn't freak out when I realized that I was tied on both sides. I wondered why. Thankfully the anesthesiologist was very kind and made me feel calm because he smiled and said, "You’re doing well".

Last edited by lovebear; 12-16-2012 at 01:08 AM.
lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

My best friend had both arms strapped down as part of SOP when she had her C/S.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I've had my wrists strapped down for all 3 of my pregnancies. With the last baby though, the anesthesiologists okay'd having one of my arms unstrapped so I could touch and feel the baby after she was pulled out. Then he left it that way for the rest of the c-section. It's standard practice here, but as kangaroo c/s are becoming more accepted; I think the rule is changing!
That part didn't make me feel panick-y though. It's that dang curtain so close to my neck! The anesthesiologist would see me react to it on the bp, heartrate machine when the curtain got on my neck and so he would push it back off all throughout my c-sections!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I've thankfully not had a CS, but in the hospital here it is standard procedure to tie you down - no ifs ands or buts.
They will also strap you down if you need fetal monitoring and your contractions are really strong.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

im pretty sure i was strapped down. i know the arm with the iv was for sure. it didnt worry me, i was worried about the baby, mine was an emergency (directly tied to my epi im pretty sure, but thats another story ). the worst part for me was when they were stitching me up... the clock on the wall was directly in my line of sight... i remember thinking how crazy it was that they got ds out so fast, and yet it took sooooo long to close me back up

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I delivered my 3 children in two different states and hospitals wih three different doctors. My arms were strapped down with all three of them.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow... I don't recall my arms being tied down. DH doesn't remember but thinks it's probable.

you'd think that'd be something I'd remember though. I thought DH held one of my hands during the surgery. and he most certainly was on the head side of the curtain.

maybe... hmmm... now I really wonder.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is SOP but I told them I didn't want them to. They said as long as I didn't try to tear down the curtain then they don't have a problem with it. I never had them tied down, I don't think I could deal with being completely immobile.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote