Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

How to entertain a 13 month old on a plane!

Title says it all! We have a full day of travel on the 21st. 4 hours on a plane plus a layover. He loves books, so I've packed those. Any other great ideas?!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Prayer. Lots and lots of prayer. We flew when our son was 13/14 months old - two flights, a three hour layover, and a lot of crying. We brought absolutely every book, toy, etc and it still wasn't enough. We brought LOTS of snacks, and that helped a little. I'm never flying with a child that age again, though. It was just way too difficult on everyone.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to entertain a 13 month old on a plane!

I suggest going to the dollar store and getting some fun, cheap books and toys. That way if they get left behind, fall under the seat and roll to the back of the plane, etc - you won't really miss them.

You want to bring about 1 food/snack item per hour. You probably won't need it all, but it does help time go by - especially with a child who's still working on the pincher grip. (and you do want something for them to suck on during ear-popping times - I like squeezy fruit for that).

During those layovers, if they're a walker - let them walk, run, whatever. I just walked behind her and listened to all the other passengers tell me how cute she was. The older grandparent types really like to talk to them, etc.

If you have anything fun to wear, wear it. DD was enthralled by the buttons on the sweater of the woman who sat next to us. She had these huge buttons and luckily didn't mind that DD wanted to touch them.

hopefully it won't be that bad. So far I've flown with her at 9 months and 17months. She'll fly again in January - 27months - and that's the one I'm mostly worried about.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 12-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Books, toys, some sort of movie playing device (if your LO will watch anything yet), and coloring stuff. Definitely pack a snack or two. Be prepared to talk and sing and sound silly.

During the layover, definitely let your LO work off some energy.

I have flown from Alaska to Michigan and once from Alaska to Florida with children ranging from 5 months to just under 2 yrs old. All but one of those trips, I had 3 children by myself. 12 hours total trip time. If I survived that, you should be able to get through 4 hours. Feel proud of your accomplishment when you get done traveling because it is an accomplishment.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Novelty is key! New foods, new toys and types of toys, new experiences.

Dollar store and thrift store toys are perfect, and you can add to the entertainment value by gift wrapping each item. Unwrapping is a blast for kids!

Books are ok, but it's hard to hear you read on a noisy plane, so I would focus on tactile books and interactive books like pop-up or quiet books.

Eating a few "junk" foods isn't going to kill them and may help keep them entertained - this is a totally acceptable time to surprise them with fruit snacks in favorite character shapes, novelty cereals, rainbow-colored goldfish, or even (in case of emergency) a chocolate bar

Do not be afraid to fall back on electronic entertainment. If watching Pocoyo on your iPad or playing color-matching games on your phone keeps their attention, accept it and be happy! I load our iPad with new games and videos before any plane trip - better to have it and not need it.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
it's hard to hear you read on a noisy plane, so I would focus on tactile books and interactive books like pop-up or quiet books.
oh golly yes - I didn't realize how loud planes were. Just the engine sounds. I bought DD a leaptop for the 17month flight and she couldn't hear it and therefore wasn't interested. Books still worked for us though, since she was on my lap and I could speak directly into her ear.. but anything that was farther away on our lap was not audible.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just took a flight with my 13 month old. Since walking is still really cool, walking her around when the seat belt sign went off we got up and walked. She said hello to everyone,even blew her first kiss to a stranger (w/o promting). What about stickers?
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Great suggestions ladies! Especially about the ear popping and the noise level.

Does anyone know If nursing helps ears pop?
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith
Yes, definitely! Nursing was a godsend. DS was strapped in his seat and I just leaned over him for ascent/descent to nurse.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
Great suggestions ladies! Especially about the ear popping and the noise level.

Yes it does!!