Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
fii
Registered Users
seller

Anybody make their own formula?

So I was on here the other day...:
(Oops! I don't have enough posts to give you the link, but if you google 'make your own formula', the site I was looking at is the 1st result 'westonaprice' )

...And started playing with the idea of making my own formula. Does anyone here make their own?

Or, does anybody have some feedback for me? Does this sound like a bad idea or do you think it would be healthier for my baby?
I would especially love to hear input from an older/ more experienced mom or nurse.
fii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would definitely run your recipe by your ped. I would be reluctant to do so because it is the sole source of nutrition and a good deal of research goes into the development of commercial products. But more power to you if you find a good recipe your ped is ok with.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
I would definitely run your recipe by your ped. I would be reluctant to do so because it is the sole source of nutrition and a good deal of research goes into the development of commercial products. But more power to you if you find a good recipe your ped is ok with.
Completely agree.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody make their own formula?

I think that is a very bad idea.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would definitely run your recipe by your ped. I would be reluctant to do so because it is the sole source of nutrition and a good deal of research goes into the development of commercial products.
Agreed!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

i did it and my son is one of the healthiest kids i know. i lost my supply at 4 months after BFing. He is almost 1 and has never been sick. I did organic commercial formula then switched to the WAPF ingredients. I compared the ingredient list to the formula i was using which was Parents Choice Organic. The ingredients were very similar and the nutritional values were nearly identical. The difference was that all the ingredients were actually organic and better quality. and the formula was fresh.

Homemade formula is not just a few ingredients. it's a lot of ingredients, and similar ingredients to what you'll find in an organic commercial formula (milk, oils, lactose, whey, etc) plus ingredients that aren't in any organic formulas that I could find, like probiotics. IMO, homemade formula following the WAPF recipe is superior to commercial formula.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
i did it and my son is one of the healthiest kids i know. i lost my supply at 4 months after BFing. He is almost 1 and has never been sick. I did organic commercial formula then switched to the WAPF ingredients. I compared the ingredient list to the formula i was using which was Parents Choice Organic. The ingredients were very similar and the nutritional values were nearly identical. The difference was that all the ingredients were actually organic and better quality. and the formula was fresh.

Homemade formula is not just a few ingredients. it's a lot of ingredients, and similar ingredients to what you'll find in an organic commercial formula (milk, oils, lactose, whey, etc) plus ingredients that aren't in any organic formulas that I could find, like probiotics. IMO, homemade formula following the WAPF recipe is superior to commercial formula.
100% AGREED. Plus homemade formula using the WAPF recipe is real, nourishing food. It shocks me that GMO corn syrup and sugar are the main ingredients in some commercial formulas.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
100% AGREED. Plus homemade formula using the WAPF recipe is real, nourishing food. It shocks me that GMO corn syrup and sugar are the main ingredients in some commercial formulas.
I love you mothers that actually read up on nutrition. A paediatrician is really useful in nutrition. These are the same folks who tell you to use Aveeno and paraben-laden soaps and creams on your babies. Good for you for taking control
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would definitely use the WAPF formula recipe before using a commercial formula.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
smagewick
Registered Users

I would also use the WAPF formula if needed with my little ones.
smagewick is offline   Reply With Quote