Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
My DD is almost 5 and we are a TV free home. She's never watched TV or seen a movie and while we aren't looking to bring one into our home she has been asking about when she will be able to watch a movie (her cousins and friends watch a lot of TV). So my DH and I are trying to find a movie that would be good for her first. Nothing too violent or negative (not too scary). Most Disney movies seem a little harsh.

Suggestions?

I don't like movies or books with a lot of fighting or snippy behavior between the characters. Cinderella stepsisters behavior toward her (name calling etc).

Last edited by FormallyMichele; 12-26-2012 at 05:15 PM.
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Both my girls (5 an almost 3) just love Milo and Otis. It's pretty cute. We tend to avoid most character stuff but it's hard finding movies that are age appropriate but not character themed. I don't do Disney but the Tinkerbell movies are pretty benign, not at all like all the princess ones.

Happy feet was pretty popular here for awhile. Any of the Winnie the pooh movies are okay. They loved Rio, although there are some scenes that are a bit dark.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Movie Recommendations for daughters first

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Both my girls (5 an almost 3) just love Milo and Otis. It's pretty cute. We tend to avoid most character stuff but it's hard finding movies that are age appropriate but not character themed. I don't do Disney but the Tinkerbell movies are pretty benign, not at all like all the princess ones.
Happy feet was pretty popular here for awhile. Any of the Winnie the pooh movies are okay. They loved Rio, although there are some scenes that are a bit dark.
We do do Disney and like Tink, but I find her to be a bit on the spoiled and bratty side. She does learn a lot in each movie about how to not be so spoiled and bratty.

I find the Aristocats to be pretty tame and sweet. There's a good bit of slapstick humor and the bumbling butler is the bad guy.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 5 year old's favorites are Tangled and Toy Story. They aren't perfect, but we love them.

We also love Polar Express.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its really hard for us as well, we are very picky about what they watch as far as the same criteria you listed. My girls (6 and 8) really like Dolphin Tale about Winter the dolphin who was rescued in Clearwater, FL. Its nice and clean and has a good message to it. If you are looking more for a cartoon i would suggest Little Einsteins or Whinnie the Pooh are all really cute. Also like a previous mama said the Tinkerbell movies are actually quite different than most Disney movies. Im sure ill think of more and ill post again
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Aristocats has a drunk goose in it. I always found him to be funny, but I know some people avoid alcohol references. I like Alice in Wonderland. It is my favourite.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
The Aristocats has a drunk goose in it. I always found him to be funny, but I know some people avoid alcohol references. I like Alice in Wonderland. It is my favourite.
I forgot about him. Apparently, it doesn't bother us. Alice in Wonderland always seemed like a bad acid trip to me. None of it makes sense!

I second Mary Poppins. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is another favorite of ours as is Bedknobs and Broomsticks but there is "witchcraft" in that one.

Melody Time is another to check out. It has several stories in it and you could just show the one(s) that you like best.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

If I were going to show one movie to my five year old it would be Mary Poppins. Still one of our favourites around here.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

What about Pollyanna? With Haley mills

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

What about an older movie that's not necessarily animated? As a little girl, I LOVED Shirley Temple. My favorite movie was The Little Princess with Shirley Temple.