Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How can I increase my supply without a pump?

I had a pump when LO was little because she was born early and her latch wasn't very good etc. but now the insurance won't pay for the pump because LO weight gain is good now. However I feel like I'm losing my milk. It also doesn't help that LO has been sick for the last week and isn't eating as much. What can I eat or drink to help my body make more milk without a pump? I've been drinking mothers milk tea but I don't think it's enough. I tried to pump with the hand pump and I could only get a few teaspoons. I was getting a few ounces with the pump so this is alarming.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Does your baby seem dissatisfied with the quantity of milk you have?

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy
Does your baby seem dissatisfied with the quantity of milk you have?
Yes. She's been nursing non stop today.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

She may be nursing more frequently in order to increase supply. I would keep nursing on cue, get some rest, drink adequate water, maybe try some oatmeal or lactation cookies (yum!) but mainly just nurse, nurse, nurse! Good luck!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen
She may be nursing more frequently in order to increase supply. I would keep nursing on cue, get some rest, drink adequate water, maybe try some oatmeal or lactation cookies (yum!) but mainly just nurse, nurse, nurse! Good luck!
Do you know if there is a good dairy free/ soy free lactation cookie recipe? Both kids have been sick and I'm super run down. I've been averaging four hours of sleep so I look and feel like a zombie. I'm hopeful that tonight is going to be better.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2

Do you know if there is a good dairy free/ soy free lactation cookie recipe? Both kids have been sick and I'm super run down. I've been averaging four hours of sleep so I look and feel like a zombie. I'm hopeful that tonight is going to be better.
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lacta...asing.html?m=1
This is the recipe I use- you could substitute the butter for Earth Butter or something vegan I suppose Oh mama, my heart goes out to you. I hope you get some rest and the kids get better! My DS nurses CONSTANTLY when he has a cold and is cranky the rest of the time. It's exhausting, I can't imagine how I would cope with more than one sicky at a time!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen

This is the recipe I use- you could substitute the butter for Earth Butter or something vegan I suppose Oh mama, my heart goes out to you. I hope you get some rest and the kids get better! My DS nurses CONSTANTLY when he has a cold and is cranky the rest of the time. It's exhausting, I can't imagine how I would cope with more than one sicky at a time!
Thanks for the recipe! I have to pick up a few things from the store, but I'm going to give it a try.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Re: How can I increase my supply without a pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen View Post
I've been wanting the recipe for these cookies too! I can't use the regular Earth Balance butter because it does have soy in it. If you are going to use Earth Balance, they have a soy-free tub.

OP, I'm having the same problem now. I used to have tons of milk, leaking all the time. Now I only leak a little at night and my breasts don't feel as full. Good luck, and I hope the cookies work for you mama!
desibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibob

OP, I'm having the same problem now. I used to have tons of milk, leaking all the time. Now I only leak a little at night and my breasts don't feel as full. Good luck, and I hope the cookies work for you mama!
So you know, that's normal and doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk. It just means your body is figuring out how much you need and not making a bunch of excess.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibob

I've been wanting the recipe for these cookies too! I can't use the regular Earth Balance butter because it does have soy in it. If you are going to use Earth Balance, they have a soy-free tub.

I use the tub version of the Earth Balance because I need soy free too. I don't mind it for baking, but I don't care for it in cooking. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to meet my pediatricians lactation nurse tomorrow to try and see why the baby is refusing the right breast. I've gotten a rental pump, but I need new membranes According to the nurse Because I have very little suction. Either my mother or husband is going to fetch them from the store for me tomorrow because its an hour away from our house.