Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Socially awkward?

What is more socially awkward?

My 2 yo saying "hi!" And waving in the face of older school aged kids at the library or the school aged kids not saying hi back & staring at him like he's weird? Even the librarian took a moment to say hi back... And while checking out ds said hi to a school aged boy & maybe got in his personal space & the boy then said "that was weird"

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,367
Re: Socially awkward?

I think both sound pretty normal for their ages.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010
I think both sound pretty normal for their ages.
Yeah I guess so. I just thought it was pretty funny. Ds was trying so hard to get the kids to reply back. I had to distract him to get him away from these poor kids who didn't know what to do with this toddler in their personal space...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,367
Re: Socially awkward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews View Post
Yeah I guess so. I just thought it was pretty funny. Ds was trying so hard to get the kids to reply back. I had to distract him to get him away from these poor kids who didn't know what to do with this toddler in their personal space...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
My son is the same way.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
apboyles's Avatar
apboyles
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 529
My Mood:
Re: Socially awkward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews View Post
Yeah I guess so. I just thought it was pretty funny. Ds was trying so hard to get the kids to reply back. I had to distract him to get him away from these poor kids who didn't know what to do with this toddler in their personal space...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
That is how our play times are at the mall play place. I feel so bad for DS (he's 27 months). Last time I was there with him, he pulled an older girls hand out of her pocket so that she would wave back to him. He wanted to play so bad with her and her friends that I finally had to distract him from them. He was having so much fun bothering them too!
__________________
A - Wife to W, mommy to C born 09/10 and J born 03/13
apboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
wordbox's Avatar
wordbox
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,056
My Mood:
Re: Socially awkward?

haha, yeah, I think it's normal for all. My son is 2 and he loves older kids. A couple of weeks ago we were at a hotel for a wedding, and he was playing in the hallway and was trying to get the attention of some older boys who were staying at the hotel (probably around 7-8 years old?) and only one of them even acknowledged him. I'm sure some kids that age don't have much experience with younger kids (unless they have siblings or cousins that are younger that they're around), or they think they're too "cool" to talk to little kids, or whatever. I'm glad the one kid said hi to my son, though, he was trying so hard to talk to them!
__________________
Mommy to Grant (July 2010) and Greta (July 2012)

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
SaraElise's Avatar
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,446
My Mood:
Re: Socially awkward?

Yep it all sounds normal. And not even just for ages, but personalities. My kids are SHY, not awkward, they interact with others, but if someone approaches them out of the blue they are sort of taken aback since it takes them a minute or two to warm up.

All 3 of mine would be those staring blankly, or completely looking away kids
__________________
Hi I'm Sara mommy to 4 little Mischief Makers
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise
Yep it all sounds normal. And not even just for ages, but personalities. My kids are SHY, not awkward, they interact with others, but if someone approaches them out of the blue they are sort of taken aback since it takes them a minute or two to warm up.

All 3 of mine would be those staring blankly, or completely looking away kids
I do see ds as normal, but for me he is more social than I ever was. I was a shy kid & I still take time to warm up to people. So it's neat for me to see that he isn't afraid to say hi to other people.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: Socially awkward?

Ok, I think the younger kid (your LO?) in this scenario is the normal kid and the one not responding is the awkward kid. In our society, the older kid will probably be viewed in the realm of "normal" but honestly, I think it's just a result of bad manners.

There is one little girl that my DD tries desperately to talk to, who just stares right through her everytime.... and it makes me so irritated and angry. And, no this little girl is not special needs, and yes, I DO know that for a fact. She's just rude.

I know all kids have their own personalities, but I really encourage my kids not to be rude. It doesn't' take much at all to just smile and wave back when someone is saying hello. You don't even have to verbally SAY hi. But don't stare at my kid like they are an alien b/c they are friendly and no one taught you any manners. Ugh. HATE that.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
SamanthaSews's Avatar
SamanthaSews
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,996
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
Ok, I think the younger kid (your LO?) in this scenario is the normal kid and the one not responding is the awkward kid. In our society, the older kid will probably be viewed in the realm of "normal" but honestly, I think it's just a result of bad manners.

There is one little girl that my DD tries desperately to talk to, who just stares right through her everytime.... and it makes me so irritated and angry. And, no this little girl is not special needs, and yes, I DO know that for a fact. She's just rude.

I know all kids have their own personalities, but I really encourage my kids not to be rude. It doesn't' take much at all to just smile and wave back when someone is saying hello. You don't even have to verbally SAY hi. But don't stare at my kid like they are an alien b/c they are friendly and no one taught you any manners. Ugh. HATE that.
I agree. I was wondering if a lot of it is because Of where we live, in cold, hard New England (RI to be exact). People just aren't very friendly here like they are in the South & Midwest where I grew up.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Samantha, SAHM to Caden (12-24-10), Wife to DH, and blogger at Stir the Wonder
SamanthaSews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.