Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Exercising mamas - is it normal to cramp up?

I've gone swimming several times over the last few weeks. (I'm 20 weeks) Before I got pregnant I had been swimming regularly, and then stopped for a while before I got pregnant. Each time since I've been back, after swimming about 4 laps my uterus cramps up something awful. If I relax for a while and swim really slow (more like a float) eventually it'll ease up. But I never can swim very fast for fear I'll cramp up again.

Regardless, swimming still feels good and does wonders for the water retention. But I don't feel like I get much of a workout because I'm swimming so slow.

Am I just over-doing it? Or is this normal? The last time I swam laps while pregnant was 7 years ago and I don't remember this ever happening.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well, I am almost 26 wks and have pretty much continued my normal exercise routine (running, circuit training, turbo kickboxing, Zumba, etc). I do sometimes get some tightening of my uterus and heaviness in my perineum. If I get a bad cramp it's like a side cramp and I just take it easy til it passes then pick things back up. If you feel good in the water I think it is great to do that. If you wait for the cramp to pass and then pick up your pace, do you start cramping again?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Exercising mamas - is it normal to cramp up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrosie View Post
Well, I am almost 26 wks and have pretty much continued my normal exercise routine (running, circuit training, turbo kickboxing, Zumba, etc). I do sometimes get some tightening of my uterus and heaviness in my perineum. If I get a bad cramp it's like a side cramp and I just take it easy til it passes then pick things back up. If you feel good in the water I think it is great to do that. If you wait for the cramp to pass and then pick up your pace, do you start cramping again?
Typically after I cramp up I just keep swimming really slow. Today I swam the last few laps a little bit harder and I could tell my uterus was a bit tight afterwards, but not the painful cramping at the beginning.

I'm hoping to start swimming several times a week and I hope this goes away once it's more routine. It's rather worrisome.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes. My Braxton hicks got pretty bad after working out. Sometimes during.

Fwiw- I ran thru my entire pregnancy, with a 1/2 marathon at 27weeks. This is my third vaginal delivery. and he was my first overdue baby!!! Be sure to hydrate.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have not felt up to exercising lately but I remember cramping when I was pregnant with DS. Nothing awful but a bit worse than normal menstrual cramps. I agree with keeping hydrated and I always stopped if they got too intense or the cramping wasn't stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't recall cramping with DD and haven't been cramping with this baby. Of course, I'm just walking, so maybe not as strenuous. And I drink a ton of water while I exercise and usually have to walk cross legged to the bathroom afterwards.

So I'd definitely make sure you're well hydrated and just try to listen to your body.

I do get some BH during my walk, but they're the normal, mild kind that just remind me that I need to pee as they press on my bladder.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

Yea I would cramp while walking 6-7 miles. Usually I just needed water (like a charley horse) I would also have Braxton hicks. Just take breaks if you need too
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote