Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
MrsFields's Avatar
MrsFields
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Group B Strep

I'm 37 weeks pregnant today and tested positive for Group B Strep. I would like to refuse the antibiotic IV and I'm wondering if I refuse it and my baby is infected at birth, what happens next? Does she get an antibiotic shot to simply treat it, or does it require something much more extensive?
MrsFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 259
Re: Group B Strep

Well I am not 100% what they would do today, but 10 years ago they did IV's. I had my daughter too fast to receive antibiotics and she caught it from me. We had to stay longer in the hospital to make sure she was not infected. Turns out she was. They put her on IV's for 3 days and she has bad eye sight in one eye from the infection. There are several other really bad side effects some of which are life threatening caused from a newborn catching group B. I personally would take the antibiotics just because it would be less going into baby than IV's and I feel guilty over my DD's eyesight even though there was nothing I could of done to prevent it from happening.
tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
mg5g
Self Ban
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,604
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

I would seriously consider your decision to refuse...

It isn't a simple "give the baby a shot" and everything will be fine thing. Your baby will go through MUCH stricter monitoring if you are positive and don't get both doses of antibiotics. You will have to stay in the hospital longer or at least baby will even if baby ISN'T SICK and could end up in a fight with the Dr if you try to take baby home sooner AMA.

If baby catches it then baby has to have the IV for several days and may end up being in NICU without you. Your baby may even end up with the IV in their scalp - DS1 had to have his there (not for Strep B though) they had to shave his head because they coudn't get a vein anywhere else and his hair didn't grow back for almost 2 years.

I know some mom's want to use holistic approaches but in this instance IMO it just isn't worth the risk to your child who could honestly die. Strep B shouldn't scare you with proper medical care but it is a serious condition that can not be ignored either. I've been treated four times - my first I went into early labour before I had the test so they treated me as a positive - the other three I was positive (one birth I wasn't). It isn't terrible to get the IV on a saline lock so you can still move around - I don't love it but my discomfort is worth baby avoiding it.

DS3 I didn't get enough doses in because my labour was too fast and he got sick - we avoided NICU but had to have hourly round the clock temperature checks for four days - not a relaxing babymoon by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by mg5g; 01-08-2013 at 01:25 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Since you have tested positive, that will be noted in your chart. If you refuse the antibiotics, baby will be strictly monitored and will probably undergo a spinal tap and other invasive procedures. Especially if you or baby spikes a fever (which can happen if you get an epidural).

I've been GBS positive both times. I got the abx first time, no big deal. Second time I was home and didn't get them. Baby was born in her caul so she didn't get exposed to it. Then I met a lady online whose baby contracted it and died of sepsis. :-(. It's a highly effective and comparatively low risk preventative measure that will save you further invasive testing.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
laila's Avatar
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 3,091
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Since you have tested positive, that will be noted in your chart. If you refuse the antibiotics, baby will be strictly monitored and will probably undergo a spinal tap and other invasive procedures. Especially if you or baby spikes a fever (which can happen if you get an epidural).

I've been GBS positive both times. I got the abx first time, no big deal. Second time I was home and didn't get them. Baby was born in her caul so she didn't get exposed to it. Then I met a lady online whose baby contracted it and died of sepsis. :-(. It's a highly effective and comparatively low risk preventative measure that will save you further invasive testing.
This wasn't true for me. I only tested postive once, and denied the antibiotics. We just enjoyed our babymoon in the hospital; baby had to be monitored for 2 days before the release. I stayed with in him in room the whole time. He didn't have any additional tests, just a wait and make sure he is ok approach. My water usually has to be broken though in the last few minutes of labor, so the risk was a lot less than for some. My midwife said denying it was fine, and was not worried at all. I go natural though in labor, in a hospital with a midwife, but no ivs or anything so when I denied it, my midwife was not surprised. I do not deny the antibiotics for me; it is denied for the safety of my child's immune system. There can be lifelong negative effects to giving baby's antibiotics before their systems have had a chance to build themselves. This is what I choose for my baby, but this doesn't mean I will EVER judge another mama's decision for her baby.
__________________
Mommy of 5 to Emma (10) , Noah(8), Luke(6), William (2.5), and Baby Hazel Lily (born on 3/2/13) , Wife to my best friend, Matt ; Teacher to many.

Last edited by laila; 01-09-2013 at 08:16 PM.
laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
steph410's Avatar
steph410
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,096
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
I do not deny the antibiotics for me; it is denied for the safety of my child's immune system. There can be lifelong negative effects to giving baby's antibiotics before their systems have had a chance to build themselves. This is what I choose for my baby, but this doesn't mean I will EVER judge another mama's decision for her baby.
you could not even HAVE THAT BABY AT ALL if he/she were to contract gbs at birth and die. this conversation is so silly.
__________________
Catholic mom to five wonderful little boys- we welcomed our newest baby on 4/6/13

Last edited by steph410; 01-10-2013 at 05:32 AM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
laila's Avatar
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 3,091
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410

you could not even HAVE THAT BABY AT ALL if he/she were to contract gbs at birth and die. this conversation is so silly.
I just want to say I was very informed of my risks and I know how I birth. They have always had to break my bags at the very end as the baby was almost out. The risk is very minimal for my babies. I think your judgmental tone is very condescending. We are all educated women, and we all love our children. There are risks to everything, including antibiotics and vaccinations. I am aware of them and choose what I feel is right and less risky for my babies. You have the right to disagree, but please don't act like we are ignorant if we come up with a different decision.
__________________
Mommy of 5 to Emma (10) , Noah(8), Luke(6), William (2.5), and Baby Hazel Lily (born on 3/2/13) , Wife to my best friend, Matt ; Teacher to many.
laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
AniMommy's Avatar
AniMommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 1,124
My Mood:
There is a current thread on l&d called refused antibiotics and regretted it. Scroll down a bit. For me, I was positive and got ABX. DD was born and had a low temp 18 hrs after birth (a poss sign of GBS infection). She was in NICU for 4 days being monitored. She had a feeding tube and nasal o2.

Can't imagine my guilt if I had declined ABX. Ultimately she was fine. Neither of us had side effects from ABX treatment.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
~happy2Bamommy~'s Avatar
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 22,736
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

I am one that tested positive. I did some reading and then declined antibiotics based on my prior birthing experiences (they are very fast births,water breaks right before baby arrives etc)

I treated myself pretty heavily with natural things (garlic,probiotics internally and hibicleans as a wash leading to labor and during labor)

Internal checks were pretty much refused. I allowed one when I made it through transition. My water breaks on its own etc. Lots of little things can be done to help minimize risk.

I treat myself as if I am GBS positive with all pregnancies now. I don't trust the test anymore. I learned many people test positive at 36-37 weeks only to be negative later. The really scary thing is that there can be negatives at 36-37 weeks to then be positive at birth. The way they test is very flawed IMHO as the colonization levels of GBS can change fairly quickly.

We very closely monitor our newborns. A chart is kept of temps (taken every two to three hours round the clock for the first 3 to 4 days of life.We watch bowels,skin color etc.)

All that said, If you are laboring in a hospital, I would get the antibiotics. The steps I take to help ensure a safer birth for myself and my child would most likely not be allowed in a hospital setting.
__________________
For a sure-fire humdinger of a thread start one on:The Duggars,Government Assistance, Politics, Crickets,
Religion,Circumcision, Infant Ear Piercing,Spanking,Breast Milk vs Formula,Feeding kids Fast Food
/ Beans & Rice, Sniffing Butt, or Vaccinating.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
ulawolf's Avatar
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,499
I am a mom who's child got group b strep. It is horrible and monitoring is great but that does t account for the says, months, and possibly years of sickness your child can go through. I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally risk it. I just don't. It is very real. My poor baby had.to have a spinal. Had to have tubes down her throat. Had a fever of over 105 and so many more things. It is horrendous to watch yiur child go through this.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.