Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

DCP had a stroke today...what should I do?

Got one of those scary late night calls that our dcp had a stroke today. She is closed for the rest of the week. I'm so worried for her but I'm also wondering if I need to start looking for new care. Ive never known anyone who had a stroke who was back at it within a week.

Dcp's hubby is considered a caregiver so perhaps he plans to limp along by himself for awhile....

I am just in tears now. These people are part of our family practically and they don't deserve this kind of tragedy. and I just don't know how many more daycare problems I can deal with. Its been a rough year...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
tasundance
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DCP had a stroke today...what should I do?

I would start looking for backup/new care asap. A stroke is not something you come back from quick and even if she is open soon I would be hesitant to have her caring for my child.
Tricia~31 Married for 13 years to Chad~36. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~12, Ethan~10, Jacob~8, Annika~5, Makenna~4, Niko James~3, Cyrus~1 and blessing #8 due 10/10/15
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hugs! I would look for a new provider also. I hope she makes a full quick recovery.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Same. There was gal here that had bought stuff to be a dcp & then stroke & couldn't right when she was going to start. Its hard. My grandma had them too & it was hard. Hugs....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

A stroke is life changing and debilitating. You most definitely need to find new childcare for the time being. It's also a time to support and love on the family. Send flowers, bring meals and help in any way you can.
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a therapist that deals with stroke patients daily there is no way to say if she will be able to care for your LO or not. We see lots of people that are the "textbook" image of stroke and take a very long time to get better if ever, but we also see tons that really do get back to normal in a few days or less. It depends on how quickly they got to the hospital and got treated. Good luck, it doesn't hurt to try to line up child care for the next few weeks with the hopes that she gets better quickly. Then if you have to look for a more permanent solution.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It really depends on the level of the stroke. I have known people who have had strokes who made full quick recoveries because they got help quickly and the stroke was more localized.

Others were not so lucky and had a more intense stroke that affected more areas and never fully recovered.

I would start looking for a new DCP but if her stroke was less severe there is no reason why she couldn't still be a DCP after her recovery. It likely wouldn't be a week though I don't think.

I hope for her it was a less severe one and she does make a quick full recovery.

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by jes750; 01-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba View Post
As a therapist that deals with stroke patients daily there is no way to say if she will be able to care for your LO or not. We see lots of people that are the "textbook" image of stroke and take a very long time to get better if ever, but we also see tons that really do get back to normal in a few days or less. It depends on how quickly they got to the hospital and got treated. Good luck, it doesn't hurt to try to line up child care for the next few weeks with the hopes that she gets better quickly. Then if you have to look for a more permanent solution.
My husband works with stroke patients daily. They are each individual and you really don't know how their body/brain is going to respond and recover. I'd find alternative care for the next couple of weeks with the knowledge that you might need something permanent, but you may be able to go back to her very soon too.

I'm so sorry.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who had a stroke last week (46 years old). She is pretty much back to normal now. It wasn't too severe.