Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When did your DD start wearing a bra?

Our daughter is almost 8 and I noticed the other day that she is getting breasts. I'm wondering if I should get her some bra's, I can't for the life of me remember what age I got mine. I can remember my special trip to the store with my Mom to get them but I don't remember what grade I was in.

So what age did your DD get her first bra? Should I go out with her to get one?

I can't believe my baby is going to need a bra soon, where did the time go.

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

I don't have a kiddo ready for a bra yet but if your daughter has "buds" then go and get her a sports bra or something similar so she can get used to it.

8 does seem young...I was in 6th grade when I started to develop. (Late bloomer).
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did your DD start wearing a bra?

I was in 6th grade also. I think that used to be very average and not late. Isn't the average onset of menstruation about 13.5, or used to be for my generation (I'm mid 30's), so growing breast buds at 11 would be average also, since menstruation occurs 2 years after breast bud development.

Which is another thing to think about, your dd may start menstruating at age 10.

My dd is 10, but nothing yet. She's super skinny, though, and dh and I weren't exactly early in the puberty department. I would expect it in the next year some time. I'm dreading puberty, because we need to make some decisions about birth control for her, and nothing is a great option for teenagers.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So probably a little early then. Maybe it was the shirt she was wearing it was a slinky tighter type shirt.

She's not skinny but she's not overweight either just average for her age. She's quite tall though and has been on meds since she was 8 months old for her epilepsy I'm wondering if her meds might make her go through puberty sooner.

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I don't know anything about epilepsy meds, but kids are going through puberty earlier, even the thin ones.

My dd is thin and super tall. She's probably approaching 5 foot tall now, and wear a size 7.5 shoe, which she is outgrowing. I wear a 7.5. Her BMI is only 13, though.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both my older dds started wearing padded bras by 9/10. They both developed early. My first dd asked for a padded bra because it made her self contious for people to be able to see her buds through a tshirt bra and regular tshirt. Not pushup bras but lightly padded bras.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay so I'm thinking I'll get her a sports bra/ undershirt tank style one and have her start there. It would probably be good for her to start getting used to wearing something under her shirts anyway.

I can also pretend she's not actually wearing a bra yet.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

W got mine some as she said she felt self conscious. Mom bought like a ton and sometimes she doesn't even wear them now.I started my period on eighth birthday.......
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but have you ever wondered if bras are even necessary?

http://www.brafree.org/

I haven't worn in in over a year
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but have you ever wondered if bras are even necessary?

http://www.brafree.org/

I haven't worn in in over a year
I can't imagine going without! I am so top heavy that they would sag to belly button. I get it if you are small...in curious how this actually works.

I think when you get her a bra I would talk to her about it...the main theme I see is the girls wing self-conscious of the changes. I wish my mom had been more open with me. I hope to have a great dialogue with my daughter but wouldn't know where to start. She is 5 and I am already trying to be as honest as possible about everything that she questions.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote