Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds in 9% weight ...what now?

Took ds in for a 9m check up. He gained 1.4lb in 3m. He eats all the time and everything we eat through his baby bullet. He gets plenty of formula and has wet /dirty diapers. He eats a lot for his size. I guess I thought he looked fine but now they wanna run blood work and send him to children's if he doesn't gain by 1. What now? He's 17.8lb (up from 16.4lb) and in the 80% height 23% head developing othetwise normally. (All my kids had small heads and are normal range now by age 1). Just feeling bad bc idk what else to offer him?

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
77Lipen
Registered Users

What was his birth weight?
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
77Lipen
Registered Users

Also his length may be growing so fast he's burning through calories and not 'gaining' as much.

Happened to a friend of mine who's child maintained the same weight for 2 months. He was just growing in length so quickly he couldn't keep the weight.

If you are really concerned you can get specialty formula that is for preemies or low weight children (sold behind pharmacy counters) and give him that.

But is wait until after all the bloodwork.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Lipen View Post
What was his birth weight?
He was 8# 8oz 19" at 37w0d

Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Also his length may be growing so fast he's burning through calories and not 'gaining' as much.

Happened to a friend of mine who's child maintained the same weight for 2 months. He was just growing in length so quickly he couldn't keep the weight.

If you are really concerned you can get specialty formula that is for preemies or low weight children (sold behind pharmacy counters) and give him that.

But is wait until after all the bloodwork.
I looked today and calorie for calorie they are the same...he also has lactose sensitivity.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ds in 9% weight ...what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsallnaughty View Post
I looked today and calorie for calorie they are the same...he also has lactose sensitivity.
I wouldn't worry yet either. there is so much more to consider than just the numbers. Your childhood weight and height(I was underweight as well), Daddy's childhood weight and height (my husband was average weight but is 6'2") and activity level are a few. if he is healthy and developing fine no biggie. If he's crawling I really wouldn't worry about it. My daughter is also dairy intolerant. Undiagniosed until 1 which caused a ton of problems, including some significant gross motor delays. But they were obvious to anyone who was paying attention- her doc kept blowing me off and I kept doubting myself. It only slightly effected her weight though. Our stats- 5lbs 10oz at 36W5D. She was 25% for weight 50th for height. She stayed at 25th and 50th awhile then she dropped to 10th and 25th. Then to 3rd and 25th, then off for weight around 18 months and 10th for height. By 24 months she was back 3 and 10. That is where she still is today. Her doc is not concerned because its true to her growth, but anytime she is seen by another doc they question her weight and we have to go through her history. I don't remember what she was at 9 months, but at 1 she was 18lbs. She had been at 19lbs for a while. She went to 20 in 2 weeks after her dairy diagnosis and switching to an alternative milk. She stayed at 20 for some time. She tends to stay at the same weight for long periods. She has been the same weight now for close to 2 years, but has gotten taller.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ds in 9% weight ...what now?

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The same thing happened with my DS. Although I think it started at his 6 month check up. We did the blood work (all a-okay), referral to GI (no help) and all that. He's 5 now and growing just fine. I would just keep feeding him how you are and see what the blood work says.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned yet. The same thing happened with my DS. Although I think it started at his 6 month check up. We did the blood work (all a-okay), referral to GI (no help) and all that. He's 5 now and growing just fine. I would just keep feeding him how you are and see what the blood work says.
Thanks. I wasn't too worried until I got the summary that has his bw till now and he's steadily decreased in his percentiles for weight. We went from 70% to 50%,32%,28%,19%, and now 9%.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
77Lipen
Registered Users

Calorie for calorie they are the same but the quantity is different and there's higher fat (?). Can't remember. I know cause I was given a normal can of formula and when my LO kept shrinking until she dipped below the expected 10% loss of her birth weight they told me to use this preemie stuff. When I compared them (my free can to the preemie can) they were the same calorie wise but the pharmacist showed me the difference was in concentration and other 'things' (can't remember) that imcreased weight.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Calorie for calorie they are the same but the quantity is different and there's higher fat (?). Can't remember. I know cause I was given a normal can of formula and when my LO kept shrinking until she dipped below the expected 10% loss of her birth weight they told me to use this preemie stuff. When I compared them (my free can to the preemie can) they were the same calorie wise but the pharmacist showed me the difference was in concentration and other 'things' (can't remember) that imcreased weight.
Hmmm I'll have to take another look...thank u