Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
New? Used? Lemon?
Do you plan to buy it for them or just contribute?

Eta: did your parents buy your first car?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: s/o Do you plan to buy your child's first cars?

No, they will work and earn their car through their hard work.
Dh and I also bought our own first cars from working hard, we want our kids to feel that pride in buying for themselves.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Dh and I also bought our own first cars from working hard, we want our kids to feel that pride in buying for themselves.
I feel similarly.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Us too. I won't pay for their car insurance either. Or their gas. If they are old enough to drive and would like to have a car and the gas to drive places, they are old enough to work to get them.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Right now, I plan to buy one decent but used car for my kids to share. It will be mine and it won't be going anywhere when they go off to college or whatever they may do. For the use of the car, I'll expect help driving grandparents and younger siblings around, errands, etc.

Of course, a lot could change in the next 16 years.

My parents bought my first three cars for me, outright. And while I appreciate it greatly, it did me no favors.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope. Every bit of money he gets for Christmas, birthdays, etc. goes into a savings account for his first car. We have a friend who's mother did that and he ended up with a very nice car once he turned 16.

If for whatever reason we ever bought a first car it'd be a lemon or an old car of ours so me or dh could get a new one.

Eta: Yes my parents bought me a 91 Honda Accord for $1,400. I adored that car and its quirks! (Couldn't use radio and cigarette lighter at the same time or the fuze would blow. And if it was under a quarter tank it'd stall if you hit the breaks too hard and the gas all sloshed to the front of the tank.)

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 01-15-2013 at 10:40 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, they will get a nice used vehicle of their choice (with in reason) when they turn 16 (or is it 18 now?)

We intend to give our children what we can to make starting out as easy as possible.

We intend to do the following

Buy them a safe reliable car
Pay for college
Pay for their wedding
Pay 6 months of rent . They can use it all at once or as needed.
Pay for 2 months of groceries

Last edited by AbbieJack; 01-15-2013 at 10:57 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
MyLovely
Registered Users

Assuming we can afford it, yes. A good-quality, safe, used car that would be theirs in everything but the title, which would be transferred over upon college graduation.

My parents gave me a pretty great quality car when I got my permit at 15. My dad had been meaning to get himself a truck for awhile, and when they calculated it out, it was just easiest to give me his 3 year old car that was paid off. She's pretty old and beat up now, but I swear, this car will never die!

I noticed in the college thread that a lot of people plan to save for things like weddings or down payments on houses instead of college or cars. I guess I'm the opposite. I don't find weddings to be all that important, if my kids want a huge one, they can save for it themselves. Ditto with a down payment. People don't typically own homes until they're a little older and established in their careers. The way I see it, the car and college education can get them to the place where they can pay for their own weddings and homes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Most likely, when DS1 gets close to driving, DH and I will purchase another vehicle. Probably something cheap but mostly reliable. Maybe around $1000-1500. It will be our car, not DS's. He will be able to use it for approved purposes based on grades and other factors. When he's ready to move out, he'll need to figure out his own transportation situation if he hasn't already.

FWIW, public transportation is not an option in our area. It simply doesn't exist out here.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are undecided still. If we do, it will not be anything nice. Just something to get to and from. They will be expected to run errands, transport siblings, etc.

We will probably offer to pay half up to a certain dollar amount. My mom bought my first car but I made the payments, if that makes sense. It was a corner lot, so it wasn't a fancy or even sort of new car, but she didn't have cash as a single mom so she had to finance it.

Currently, any and all cash/checks the kids get for holidays and birthdays goes into savings. We also have college funds that, if they join the military or get a scholarship, will be cash in their pockets when they graduate. They may use that money for a new car if they choose at that time.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote