Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

SOLVED! (Everything leaking at night!)

UPDATE ... Several nights now, what's working is 2GMD size small flats with the yellow stitching (the flats I mention below were from 2010 and smaller), and one of these nighttime doublers plus one of these large hemp doublers. I had to abandon my favorite fold below, and snappi it, in order to distribute some of the bulk around his hips, which also made him happier about the cover. It all goes under a Thirsties Duo size 2, pulled way up in the front so it curls back over the diaper, and then tuck his pajama shirt in - both prevent his pajama pant waistband from curling into the diaper. No leaks, and the diaper isn't completely saturated.

FWIW the "2010" GMD bleached flats weigh 60g and the newer unbleached small weighs 85g, so having two of the "New" smalls really added a lot of fabric.

It also fit under his jammies that were getting too small, so it didn't make the diaper butt that much bigger.

I'm still going to try some GAD hemp semi-fitteds, she's having a great sale.

Nothing like a sudden change in habits to make a veteran cloth user feel flummoxed...

I thought maybe it was just our worn out and smallish Flips, but even an up size to Thirsties Duo size 2 failed last night. With 2 flats and an overnight hemp doubler (all from GMD) no less.

I expect a lot of suggestions for fitteds, but I've been weighing those and find they have less fabric in them than then 2 flats alone. Also, using the flats (with the fold in my sig) keeps there from being any bulk at the hips. A beloved Dunk N Fluff fitted is being rejected because it's "ouchy" on his hips.

He also doesn't like the Thirsties cover, we fight getting him into a diaper lately, he doesn't like the feel.

I really can't spend a lot, and we don't use AIOs or microfiber if we can help it (I hate laundry drama).

He's 30 lbs, little waist bigger thighs.

Oh. And he also floods nighttime Huggies, though he prefers the way they feel.

Last edited by TrennaII; 01-22-2013 at 08:42 AM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Everything leaking at night!

i have say i love your choice of words : flummoxed.

maybe less liquids after 6/7? motherease sandy's large are gentle, soft and absorbent, maybe you can try a trade/swap and see if it works with your ds? half the time we use nighttime huggies upsized, and sz 2 hemp fitteds with bamboo or organic cotton flat/prefold, just depends on who is putting ds to bed. awaiting other mama's feedback!

Last edited by vansen19; 01-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.
vansen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some people dont like doing this, but one thing that works really well for us is using a wool soaker OVER a pocket. You could try a wool soaker over the thirsties cover. It seems to catch all the leaks for us.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
Some people dont like doing this, but one thing that works really well for us is using a wool soaker OVER a pocket. You could try a wool soaker over the thirsties cover. It seems to catch all the leaks for us.
I used to be able to make this work, but then my LO started getting bad rashes and I think Trenna's son is prone to rashes too, so just watch out for that.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
I used to be able to make this work, but then my LO started getting bad rashes and I think Trenna's son is prone to rashes too, so just watch out for that.
Yep. It adds heat. Thats why I said some do not do it. My daughter leaks in sposies and pockets and we change her between 11 and 12 and she wakes at 5 or 6. My kids have both been heavy wetters and both have enormous liquid intakes . I have tried everything. With DS we got to the point we were putting a dancing bears soaker (very heavy weight bulky fleece) over a disposable at night. With DD we usually only use the soaker for the long stretch but I am going to start trying the bamboo flats in her pockets and see how they do...I would love to ditch the soakers bc I am not a wool fan to begin with. I do live in florida, so Im not having to put thick jammies over the soaker, which does help..she is not prone to rashes.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
ss456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you sure fitteds wouldn't be the answer? Even if its less fabric, I think the fit around the legs makes a difference.
ss456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss456
Are you sure fitteds wouldn't be the answer? Even if its less fabric, I think the fit around the legs makes a difference.
This. Our bamboo fitteds paired with wool are key to our night diapering success. DS is a super soaker and loves drinking water. Even when we tried to take it away at a certain time at night but I felt bad doing this, he still drinks water in the bath - either out of the tub (gross I know) or from the faucet. Prior to using bamboo fitteds, I tried to do other combos that were way bulkier and had more fabric. The bulk was uncomfy for DS and created gaps in the legs which led to leaks. Sbish OBFs with wool are our nighttime solution.

Last edited by momma_dna; 01-19-2013 at 09:06 PM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nothing worked for my ds, not fitteds, not disposables, not even a Freetime with a hemp and a bamboo insert. A heavy wetting tummy sleeper 15 months around 28 pounds and this has been working for a week now: a OS BG pocket stuffed with a hemp insert and a bamboo insert both wrapped inside of a prefold.

The BG is stay dry too so less rash problems for us too.

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 01-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
carolyndavis
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
A heavy wetting tummy sleeper 15 months around 28 pounds and this has been working for a week now: a OS BG pocket stuffed with a hemp insert and a bamboo insert both wrapped inside of a prefold.
I'm sure this is super bulky (but hey, if it works, it works!), and I'm curious if you have dedicated nighttime BG OS pockets? I've considered trying mine for overnights, but I feel like I'd completely stretch them out by stuffing them with that much fluff. I don't want to render mine useless for regular daytime use.

Right now I use a Flip organic wrapped around a newborn BG MF insert inside a PUL cover Flip, Thirsties Duo Wrap, or Econobum but I'd love to have something stay-dry against DS's skin.
carolyndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyndavis View Post
I'm sure this is super bulky (but hey, if it works, it works!), and I'm curious if you have dedicated nighttime BG OS pockets? I've considered trying mine for overnights, but I feel like I'd completely stretch them out by stuffing them with that much fluff. I don't want to render mine useless for regular daytime use.

Right now I use a Flip organic wrapped around a newborn BG MF insert inside a PUL cover Flip, Thirsties Duo Wrap, or Econobum but I'd love to have something stay-dry against DS's skin.
i know some mama's have posted BG's with PUL issues FFS, these could work as a nighttime diaper with a wool or fleece soaker i guess? in terms of liquids intake, i really encourage my 21 mo ds to have 20 oz whole milk and 10-12 oz water/juice a day, we have a full sippee milk when he wakes up in the morning and after afternoon nap (it's like clockwork now), water or vit c crystal w/oj with meals. we limit liquids after 6:30 and he is down 8pm until 7 am. so far nighttime dipes manageable and daytime dipes are well soaked. what do ya'll think? i'm not going to hijack this post but i'll start a new one on the subject.