Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Teething and Tylenol...

My 15 month old is teething and is miserable at night. When I look in her mouth I see a couple back teeth coming in- you can see the teeth partially exposed and the gums still over the middle part of the tooth (ouch!).

I feel so bad for her but I am not someone who likes to jump and give my kids medicine and honestly, my first two kids breezed through teething with only needing a couple doses of Tylenol.

I have given my DD Tylenol for the past three nights and it has really helped her sleep but at the same time I hate having to give her it every night.

Did anyone else have to give Tylenol for their LO's to sleep comfortably?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My dd1 was a rough teether and I found ibuprofen works better. I don't feel guilty. If my kids are in pain I help them relieve it.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Teething and Tylenol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
My dd1 was a rough teether and I found ibuprofen works better. I don't feel guilty. If my kids are in pain I help them relieve it.
Thanks!

I think I have ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet- I'll try it tomorrow night to see if it helps more.

Of course I would never withold medicine if it makes my child more comfortable- I think I am just thrown off my game because DD is so different form her older siblings. Talk about feeling like you know everything and them baby #3 come along and you are utterly clueless
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Agree with ibuprofen instead of Tylenol, it works much better for my kids.

With both of mine, I have given half doses of ibuprofen before bedtime when teething was at its worst, usually for 4-5 days. It's enough to at least take the edge off and allow them to get some better sleep, which makes everyone happier. I'm very cautious with medication, but sometimes you just have to do something for them, you know?
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I know what you mean! I only have 2, and my dd2 is 4 months old and her behavior the last week has me totally stumped!
But anyway, I think the ibuprofen relieves swelling as well and generally works better. Good luck. My dd1 got an ear infection every time she got a tooth. Not fun!!!!
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My night time teething remedy, with all three boys... was to give a dose of Ibuprofen followed immediately by a dose of Hyland's Teething Tablets. The Ibuprofen works more long term, and the Teething Tablets will be more immediate, for a 1. 2. knock out.

A teething necklace will help too!!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If my child was up all night miserable I'd probably give some tylenol if I knew it was teething. As it is my 16 month old has his bottom two molars swollen and pushing through, but he's sleeping through the night, so he hasn't been getting any tylenol.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i dont like giving meds either but if my child was in pain and unable to sleep i would do whatever they needed to be able to rest comfortably
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our little guy is 16 months and just got his two bottom teeth and is now getting his two top.

We use Ibuprofen occasionally when it seems like he's in a lot of pain but my #1 go to has been our Baltic Amber. He wears a necklace and a anklet 24/7 and it has REALLY helped. This is where we got ours

http://greenbabyclothingcompany.com/...hp?category=51

It really does work.

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors
i dont like giving meds either but if my child was in pain and unable to sleep i would do whatever they needed to be able to rest comfortably
This. I gave it to DS as needed and it was a lifesaver.