Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
k2bdeutmeyer
Registered Users
seller

Please help a newbie!

I tried searching, but am not finding what I'm looking for. I'm a mom of 3 (12.5yr, 6yr, and 3.5yr) and expecting our 4th in April. Budget is super tight (as it is for a lot right now, I know), but we're seriously looking at CDing this time. However.....I have no idea where to start. I have a basic understanding of the different types/styles of diapers, and feel comfortable at least looking up the info I need to care for them, however, I have NO IDEA what I want/need in terms of a newborn.

I'm most interested in ease of use (DH is very concerned that this is going to be too much work). So, I guess in that sense, the closer to disposable type usage, the better. My second concern is cost. I know in the long run CD are cheaper, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't really have much to invest up front either.

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful, but my babies are usually in the 7.5-8lbs range and I will be BFing.

If you wouldn't mind taking a few minutes to help out a total newbie, I'd really appreciate some guidance!!

Thank you!
k2bdeutmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
toutoute
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help a newbie!

Cottonbabies.com is having their seconds sale on the xs bg aios. These are great starter diapes just like disposable since they are aplix and trim.

They are only $7.50 with free shipping
toutoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
k2bdeutmeyer
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by toutoute View Post
Cottonbabies.com is having their seconds sale on the xs bg aios. These are great starter diapes just like disposable since they are aplix and trim.

They are only $7.50 with free shipping
Oh!!! Awesome!! Thank you
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Kawaii has newborn diapers with velcro and they are supposed to last until 22lbs. They are reasonable priced too. Also econobum is by bumgenius and they are a cheap options but not necessarily the easiest. As far as ease of use pockets or all in ones with Velcro are probably your best bet. Most one size pockets say they fit from birth to potty training but often are way too big for a newborn. If you search through the questions on here some people have posted pictures of their baby on one size and newborn sized diapers.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller

Just a suggestion if you have a baby shower make it a cloth diaper party
I wasn't planning on having a shower with this last baby bc I saved all my clothes, etc from my oldest. My sister wanted to throw a shower & I suggested a cloth diaper shower so we got a lot of our stash that way. I know it's cheaper in the long run with cloth, but it's just the upfront costs. If you like a lot of the cloth diaper online stores on Facebook or twitter they ll notify you of sales & some of them if you spend a certain amount of $ you get a free diaper. And they do rafflecopters, I won 2 that way.
I've really liked the aio but since they are more expensive really the only way to afford them in our budget was for me to buy them used. I was able to get 13 bumgenius aio for a great price & they had only been used for a week off of this site. So far out of our pocket we've spent less than $200 & I have enough aio/fitted/pocket diapers for doing laundry every other day. I even have a few lil joeys that she grew out of or A brand i didn't like to make some of that$ back, i just need to take the time to list them.
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
k2bdeutmeyer
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadavis85 View Post
Just a suggestion if you have a baby shower make it a cloth diaper party
I wasn't planning on having a shower with this last baby bc I saved all my clothes, etc from my oldest. My sister wanted to throw a shower & I suggested a cloth diaper shower so we got a lot of our stash that way. I know it's cheaper in the long run with cloth, but it's just the upfront costs. If you like a lot of the cloth diaper online stores on Facebook or twitter they ll notify you of sales & some of them if you spend a certain amount of $ you get a free diaper. And they do rafflecopters, I won 2 that way.
I've really liked the aio but since they are more expensive really the only way to afford them in our budget was for me to buy them used. I was able to get 13 bumgenius aio for a great price & they had only been used for a week off of this site. So far out of our pocket we've spent less than $200 & I have enough aio/fitted/pocket diapers for doing laundry every other day. I even have a few lil joeys that she grew out of or A brand i didn't like to make some of that$ back, i just need to take the time to list them.
Being that this is baby #4....no shower Sniff, sniff. I so wish.

I'm so disappointed. I waited until today to go take advantage of the 2nds sale at Cotton Babies and missed out on the white ones. We don't know what we're having and all that's left of the $7.50 diapers is pink and blue. Sigh.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2bdeutmeyer View Post
Being that this is baby #4....no shower Sniff, sniff. I so wish.

I'm so disappointed. I waited until today to go take advantage of the 2nds sale at Cotton Babies and missed out on the white ones. We don't know what we're having and all that's left of the $7.50 diapers is pink and blue. Sigh.
Go with blue if you are concerned. You can always girly up blue. Not much you can do to make pink more boyish on a baby.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Speaking of, the elemental AIOs are in seconds too!
All in ones might be the best for family helpers although a whole stash of them can get expensive. Maybe have a few prefolds and covers on hand, they're easy and inexpensive!
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's okay they still will hold pee and poop just the same! The color doesn't matter. I think there are some great AIO out there but what I have found after many years is that something like flats/prefolds and covers works just as well if not better in some cases as an AIO. But they are also easier to keep clean, less chance of messing them up and super simple and flexible. If it were me I would pick up a few of the 2nds AIO and then get a dozen flats and prefolds and a few covers and go from there once your LO is actually here. The start up cost is as much or as little as you want it to be. I have 3 children and am very busy and it is no more difficult than throwing a load in. Once you get used to it I can in a flat or lay it in a cover just as quickly as snapping an AIO. My DH has zero problems with changing and putting on a flat. It really is very easy. If you are planning to start from birth, which I have done twice now, you will be amazed at how easy it is and how much better it works than disposables. I consider prefolds and covers to be a totally bulletproof newborn system. Plus it's very cost effective.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I'd spend some time on the Green Mountain Diapers website. We used flats, Daddy did just fine once he learned the routine, he had trouble with AIOs because he was used to flats.

That being said, Cottonbabies has newborn AIOs on sale. We couldn't wear Bumgenius till 10 lbs.

Green Acre Designs is having a big sale too, theirs are sized so you would fund one size by selling the other.

You can get pockets on FSOT or Bumgenius seconds that you stuff with Flats, so Dad has it easy but your investment is smaller and your laundry is easier.