Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Replacing velcro on BGs

O.K., I'm really disappointed in the velcro on BGs but that I guess that's a vent for a different thread. The velcro is losing its stickiness and my lo can yank them off unless I make sure he's wearing clothes over the diaper. The velcro only lasted 9 months

Anyway, I need to replace the tabs and laundry strips on several BGs. Can I make my own tabs and laundry strips by buying strips of hook and loop instead? If so, what velcro should I buy and where? Will they look ugly if I buy strips and trim the strips in the shape of tabs? Or do I really need to buy the repair kits from cottonbabies? I'm trying to do this as economically as possible but I don't want them to end up looking awful.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I bought my aplix from kidsinthegarden.com. I took off the tabs, traced around the shapes and cut them out. I've never bought a replacement kit.

Money wise with shipping and all I'm not sure which ends up cheaper.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Replacing velcro on BGs

Thanks! I'll check it out!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
lyia81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if this will help, but I bought some used BG's. They had some lint and hair in the hook part of the velcro. I used a seam ripper from my sewing kit to remove nearly all of it. Works great!
lyia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I replaced the Velcro with touchtape... I think from verybaby.com. It's a million times stickier than Velcro and looks just fine! I free handed the tabs making them wider. Worked great! My now 2 year old cant get them off (he's pl'd but wears a diaper at night ) but he could easily get the Velcro off at 6 months old!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
I bought my aplix from kidsinthegarden.com. I took off the tabs, traced around the shapes and cut them out. I've never bought a replacement kit.
kidsinthegarden.com isn't taking any new orders right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
I replaced the Velcro with touchtape... I think from verybaby.com. It's a million times stickier than Velcro and looks just fine! I free handed the tabs making them wider. Worked great! My now 2 year old cant get them off (he's pl'd but wears a diaper at night ) but he could easily get the Velcro off at 6 months old!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Thanks! I'll check out the touchtape on verybaby.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyia81 View Post
Not sure if this will help, but I bought some used BG's. They had some lint and hair in the hook part of the velcro. I used a seam ripper from my sewing kit to remove nearly all of it. Works great!
I'll try cleaning the tabs again in the meantime. Dh told me to do the same thing. Some of the tabs are starting to curl which doesn't help.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Verybaby does have precut touchtape tabs!