Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any "real"/traditionally nourished (or paleo) foodies in here?

What are your methods of keeping grocery costs down when 75% (or more) of your list is fresh, local, and/or organic (at least non-GMO) ... not to mention trying to replace a good 50% of your old wheat intake with sprouted or GF-ancient grains? Besides making as much as possible from scratch, I mean.

I'm trying to delve into meal planning for starters, and have been price-shopping for years ... but I feel like I'm missing something.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Buy the best you can afford.

Paleo/whatever is definitely not economical but so much better for your health. The best advice I've read was to buy the best quality food that you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any "real"/traditionally nourished (or paleo) foodies in here?

We've avoided trying to budget food for this reason, but nos I'm determined to try. We were TF for 4 years before switching to paleo. What do you find your cheapest meal options are?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havah
What are your methods of keeping grocery costs down when 75% (or more) of your list is fresh, local, and/or organic (at least non-GMO) ... not to mention trying to replace a good 50% of your old wheat intake with sprouted or GF-ancient grains? Besides making as much as possible from scratch, I mean.

I'm trying to delve into meal planning for starters, and have been price-shopping for years ... but I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm still a novice at this. We eat mostly paleo dinners because of gluten and dairy issues (still eat rice and potatoes sometimes). One thing I do is buy in season, local produce. Like strawberries are in season in the other parts of te country, but we still have a couple months, so no berries for us yet. I don't replace most of our grains that used to be wheat. We just don't eat sandwiches and pasta like we used to. Spaghetti squash, zucchini, eggplant etc instead of pasta.

Sounds like you not want to hear it, but I make most f our stuff from scratch. We aren't strictly paleo, so idk all the rules, but I make our own salad dressings (vinegar, oil, seasonings), spreads, snacks, etc. I don't really buy anything in a box or bag except for raw ingredients.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Have you read "Real Food on a Real Budget"? It addresses this.

We spend around $1000/month for 6 people eating only real food like this. Not paleo, more NT foods. We actually eat only 1 serving of meat a day per person, at most. Probably only 5 days a week. Lots of vegetarian meals, but still plenty of eggs, fresh milk, butter, etc.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh yeah, making everything from scratch helps. I also don't buy salad dressing, easy to make your own. Don't buy pancake mix, buy dried beans vs canned. Don't buy anything boxed like cereal or cake mix. We do meatless Mondays.

It's hard with my DH because I eat fruit and veggies as a snack but he wants empty calorie foods like potato chips. He's allergic to dairy so I can't give him cottage cheese or other healthy easy snack. I found TF was easier with a nursing baby than paleo for breakfast, lunch, and snacks for me but I did paleo for dinner.

Farmers markets help with cost a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Two words: Azure Standard.

I have had a few friends in the past who get most of their monthly foods through Azure and then supplement with local farmer's markets. I'm about to take the plunge. I will do most of my monthly shopping through them and then make do with what I can find otherwise. I've made a whole excel spread sheet with prices added and multiplied etc. I'm excited!

Now, I haven't reduced my monthly grocery budget at all by doing this. It is $650 for a family of 5 monthly. But, I have made MUCH better choices in the foods that I'm going to be getting.
CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do a CSA share (June - Feb) that is virtually all of our produce plus a good portion of fruit. In the spring we go berry picking and freeze and/or can blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, jam, etc. Summer we stock up on peaches & pears from a local orchard (2nds are great!) and can them. Fall is apples apples apples. We purchase a 1/4 of a cow once a year from a local farmer, 10 chickens (and our Thanksgiving turkey) from another farm, and sausage & pork from a third. Eggs & milk come from a local dairy. For a family of 4 (I use coupons for toiletries, etc), we spend about $700/month on all organic/local. Meal planning is based entirely on what is on hand at the time.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

We also buy thru Azure Standard and the Nebraska Food Coop. It's a little tricky getting started because the best prices from Azure are bulk prices, like I have 15 pounds of pasture butter coming this month--a year's worth--but it is only $5.30/pound that way. I buy their dry beans in 5 pound bags and cook it all at once--in the oven--and then freeze in 1 3/4 cup portions to use instead of canned beans. It saves both time and money to buy and prep in bulk, but there is a learning curve.

I buy usually 25 pounds of meat at a time from the Nebraska Food Coop (6 months worth, as the nutrient quality of meat decreases over time in the freezer). We typically eat 1 pound each of grassfed beef, pastured pork, pastured chicken, and wild caught fish per week, plus 1-2 dozen eggs. I roast the chickens whole, then shred the meat off the carcass for use later, then make broth from the bones.

I do a big garden every spring and freeze as much produce as possible for the winter, even traditionally canned things like tomatoes and applesauce. I can very little, basically just the fruit from my pear trees and jam from my currant bushes. Canning really destroys most of the nutrients present, so I avoid it when possible.

It took me about 3 years to totally transition over to a real foods lifestyle. Partly it was sourcing foods, partly it was stocking up my bulk purchases to get the best pricing (because I couldn't afford to buy 15 pounds of butter AND 25 pounds of beef AND 20 pounds of beans all at once), but mostly it was learning HOW to cook this way and use my time efficiently. It takes more time and more money, but it is worth it.

My fave resource: heavenlyhomemaker.com

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
bsquared731
Registered Users

Super helpful! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
We also buy thru Azure Standard and the Nebraska Food Coop. It's a little tricky getting started because the best prices from Azure are bulk prices, like I have 15 pounds of pasture butter coming this month--a year's worth--but it is only $5.30/pound that way. I buy their dry beans in 5 pound bags and cook it all at once--in the oven--and then freeze in 1 3/4 cup portions to use instead of canned beans. It saves both time and money to buy and prep in bulk, but there is a learning curve.

I buy usually 25 pounds of meat at a time from the Nebraska Food Coop (6 months worth, as the nutrient quality of meat decreases over time in the freezer). We typically eat 1 pound each of grassfed beef, pastured pork, pastured chicken, and wild caught fish per week, plus 1-2 dozen eggs. I roast the chickens whole, then shred the meat off the carcass for use later, then make broth from the bones.

I do a big garden every spring and freeze as much produce as possible for the winter, even traditionally canned things like tomatoes and applesauce. I can very little, basically just the fruit from my pear trees and jam from my currant bushes. Canning really destroys most of the nutrients present, so I avoid it when possible.

It took me about 3 years to totally transition over to a real foods lifestyle. Partly it was sourcing foods, partly it was stocking up my bulk purchases to get the best pricing (because I couldn't afford to buy 15 pounds of butter AND 25 pounds of beef AND 20 pounds of beans all at once), but mostly it was learning HOW to cook this way and use my time efficiently. It takes more time and more money, but it is worth it.

My fave resource: heavenlyhomemaker.com
bsquared731 is offline   Reply With Quote