Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Your thoughts on our chances...

I'm just taking a guess that I can ask this questioning this forum.
Dh and I have 2 girls right now. I'd like to try for a third, but dh feels strongly that he wants 2-3 kids but not 4. You see, my mom is a fraternal twin and I am a fraternal twin so he really is afraid of wanting 3 but having 4. Does any one know what our chances of having twins might be? I'm currently 27 if that info is needed. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your thoughts on our chances...

I'm not sure, but I have 2nd cousins who are twins. Now one had one baby then a set of twins. Her sister had 2 sets of twins 3 years apart. If you had 2 single pregnancies there is a chance that you would have twins but you would never know. My cousin with the 2 sets was told that it was highly probable she would have another multiple birth, so she stopped there. I just wanted to let you know that neither of them used any sort of 'help'. Conception was purely natural.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have fraternal twins, and I have seen all sorts of percentages thrown out there but the science behind them is shady at best. I don't think there is a number you can assign to your odds. It depends on if you release more than one egg at a time and if you do not have the gene that makes you do that your odds are slim--not impossible because lots of women have events that make them release more than one egg even if they don't normally do so.
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You chances are higher than average, but still aren't that high. The chances of having twins without help (fertility treatment, like me) aren't really *that* high even when they are higher than average, if you know what I mean. I mean, clearly, people have spontaneous twins all the time with no help. It does happen, but I definitely would not base how many children you are going to have on the possibility of twins.

Plus, twins are awesome. If you were surprise with them, it would scare you at first, but in the end you would be so blessed and thankful. I love twins and would love a 3rd set.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. We decided to wait until the end of summer and then decide. We'll see!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say your chances are higher than average, as im sure you know fraternal twins do have to do with genetics on the mothers side. Good luck with your decision mama
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
mrsgrantis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband was the same as yours wanted 2 but could be talked into 3 - and Surprise! Twins! (No family history and didn't find out till 21 weeks)
Intially it was scary but honestly only 8weeks in and we both wouldn't have it any other way - it has brought great balance to our family!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
doodah
Registered Users
seller

you should always be prepared when you TTC knowing that you have to accept and be committed to whatever comes your way regarding gender, health, multiples, etc, etc. if you arent ready to make that commitment, you're just not ready. hopefully this summer will bring clarity! it is generally thought that fraternal is a hereditary thing while identical twins are more of a spontaneous thing.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think for sure i'm prepared but dh is questioning it. ultimately it will have to be a joint decision that we both want it. either way, i feel truely blessed with my two girls right now. i just was looking here to see if anyone could give me some insight to share with dh. i'm pretty certain he is most concerned about financially caring for 4 children.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Your chance for fraternal twins increase with age, # of pregnancies, and family history.

I'm a fraternal twin. Twins seem to have skipped my mom's generation and so far I or any of my siblings have twins so who knows
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote