Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

What would your spouse do for dinner?

I am here in the hospital with the baby and we have been here since Tuesday. My mom has been at home babysitting the two younger girls as DH was either here with me or at work. Dh went home each night and I stayed here at the hospital with the baby. Because of the times he had to leave my mom just stayed overnight at my house and because she was there, she made food for everyone. Which meant that DH didn't need to get dinner each night or breakfast or whatever. I had a menu up on the fridge for the week, and the food for it but my mom wanted to make whatever she wanted to make and she bought whatever she needed to make that stuff so it's all good.

But it occurs to me tonight, if my mom hadn't been there, what would DH have done? I know he couldn't have followed the menu because he doesn't know how to make those things. For example I had pizza down for tomorrow night-made from scratch crust sauce, etc. I don't have any sort of frozen pizza or other ready to microwave stuff.

Had my mom been there I am not sure that Dh could have provided real meals. I mean he could have gotten FOOD for the kids and because there aren't many options it would have been mostly healthy. But they wouldn't have been meals. He couldn't get together spaghetti or pizza or stirfry, he couldn't have provided the meals on the menu.

How about your spouse? If you had to be away suddenly for a period of time, how would your spouse have handled food for the family?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would your spouse do for dinner?

Mac & cheese (from a box)
Tuna sandwiches
Scrambled eggs
hotdogs
From the freezer (I'd have to tell him where and what to do) He could do spaghetti & meatballs (frozen sauce, always pasta in the pantry), bbq chicken sandwiches (shredded chicken in ziplock bags, meal amounts), stew... trying to think what else is in the freezer...

If I left him REALLY specific instructions, he could make lemon pesto shrimp, burgers.

I have a very stocked pantry and freezers, though.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Even though he works full time (I work part time), he does most of the cooking.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

French bread pizzas

Spaghetti

Grilled cheese

Smoothies

Burgers

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

My DH would probably make simple things like spaghetti, some other kind of pasta, mini pizzas, soft tacos. He has solid basic cooking skills, but tends to keep things pretty simple and likely would just serve raw veggies on the side.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
My DH would probably make simple things like spaghetti, some other kind of pasta, mini pizzas, soft tacos. He has solid basic cooking skills, but tends to keep things pretty simple and likely would just serve raw veggies on the side.
Pretty much this.

The first night would probably be mcDonald's unless I specifically stated do not do that But after that, it would be basic foods and raw veggies- which is fine

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
DH is the better cook in our house, so he would've been fine. I doubt he would've followed a meal plan though, he probably would just make stuff up using the ingredients in the fridge. I also wouldn't be surprised if he got takeout.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I keep some easy backup meals around just in case they are needed. Some are not healthy, but they do the job and I don't depend on them long term so I am not concerned about my kids getting a less than stellar meal on occasion. DH work most likely do hot dogs and some canned veggies or ramen noodles with veggies mixed in.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He's an amazing cook and he'd be able to follow my menu plans easily.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My dh loves to cook and is a fabulous cook! He actually does the cooking when he is home by choice. We use it as family time... Everyone hangs around the bar and talks while he cooks. He is also a fancy cook, not just a plain Jane cook. He is very creative cooking. He says it is a stress reliever for him after being gone all week and eating restaurant food.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote