Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
babycatchernm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Fix em or retire em?

Hi all!
Newer to DS, and soon to be first time CD mama. I received a bunch of cloth diaper prefolds that have gone through two families with two kiddos each, so needless to say they have seen better days. I am one for using things if I can, they needed an oxi-clean soak and a bleach wash to get some well water stains out and look much better, but some of them do have some decent sized holes (sides and middle panel) that range from pea size to lemon size. I was thinking the ones that aren't too bad I may be able to add a panel to the center to cover larger holes and maybe sew around the border of the smaller holes to keep them from fraying more. Is this just insane to put that much work into them? Will they just get worse? Will adding fabric take away from their absorbancy? I could use some sage info from all you long time CD'er mamas! My second idea is to turn the really thrashed ones into nursing pads with receiving blankets as the top and bottom fabric with the prefold between. Anyone done that before? Thanks in advance.
babycatchernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fix em or retire em?

If you have free diapers and materials already on hand (and time) I dont think its crazy at all to put that much effort into the diapers! My first thought (especially b/c Im sure they are thinning some by now) was to just sandwhich the diapers between some fabric (flannel or birdseye or your choice) and serge all around the edges and sew down the middle panel. The new fabric will make them look more refreshed and add to their absorbency! keep in mind, some mamas have said they have issues using a snappi with flannel although I never have.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
2btwinmama
Registered Users
seller

I have a bunch of old prefolds from a friend and I use them as doublers or burp cloths or even for cleaning. If you run out of energy to repair you can always repurpose
2btwinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
babycatchernm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
If you have free diapers and materials already on hand (and time) I dont think its crazy at all to put that much effort into the diapers! My first thought (especially b/c Im sure they are thinning some by now) was to just sandwhich the diapers between some fabric (flannel or birdseye or your choice) and serge all around the edges and sew down the middle panel. The new fabric will make them look more refreshed and add to their absorbency! keep in mind, some mamas have said they have issues using a snappi with flannel although I never have.
Thank you for that! I received way too many receiving blankets and was thinking about re-purposing some of them to make patches or cover them completely. I just wasn't sure how well they would absorb. I don't mind pinning if the snappi doesn't hold and I would be using a cover anyway. Thanks for the pep talk!!
babycatchernm is offline   Reply With Quote