Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
ashxoh
Registered Users
seller

Help! I want to start cloth diapering!!!

I have an almost 6 month old.. And I am going to take the plunge into cloth diapering. I want to be a super crunchy mama!! I am lost as where to start. Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to what I need???
ashxoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would just buy some kawaii one size pockets. They are cheap and you may never need to size up if you have a skinny toddler. Cloth wipes are nice but you can get cheap baby washcloths that work too. I just wet them. A bucket for the bathroom. You only need like 24 dipes, you can buy a whole stash brand new for like $117

http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/limite...ks-get-20-off/
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 03-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help! I want to start cloth diapering!!!

What are you looking for mama? Have you read the sticky? I would first figure out what the different types are and then go from there. Each style has it's own pros and cons. When I first started I would look at lots of different diaper styles at Green Mountain Diapers, Cotton Babies, Nicki's Diapers to name a few. Then if I found one I was interested in I would look at reviews on Diaper Pin. There are also lots of great tutorials and reviews on Youtube.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
mommaroo2Lou
Registered Users
seller

I started when my DD was about 9 mos old. I read a lot of reviews too but it was really hard for me to figure out what I wanted till I tried it. I like the route of just buying someone else stash, hopefully one with some variety, and figuring it out from there.
mommaroo2Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I found a small lot of BGEs on Craigslist, bought a 5 gallon bucket for stinkies and took the plunge. Then I found this site, honed in my washing routine and went crazy on trying everything out on FSOT.

Good luck getting started!

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
ParkersMommy7611
Registered Users
seller

It took me 2 months to finally make a decision and buy! My personal favorite is Kellyscloset.com. But like pp said YouTube and a lot of it! You can find mommas (and a few dads) reviewing just about every diaper there is!!
ParkersMommy7611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

If you don't want to spend a lot look for prefolds infant size 4x8x4 and get some diaper safari covers they have them on sale every few weeks buy one get one or buy 2 get one they are great. I spent on pockets diapers over $500.00 wish I saved my money i hate stuffing pockets nowwouhave went with cover
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
JennyJack
Registered Users
seller

I had planned on starting when my DS was born, and I bought a whole bunch of OS pocket diapers. Then we had to deal with a whole bunch of health issues with DS, and adding cloth diapers on too of that wasn't something I didn't feel up to handling. Finally, everything slowed down and stabilized, and we decided to cloth diaper. I bought a good number of pockets again, and while I am pleased with the ones I bought, I am actually now preferring the breath ability of wool (and am slowly making the switch). My point in saying all of that is to suggest you by a variety to start out with until you figure out what you like and the buy what you need for your stash.
JennyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
ss456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you should do a diaper trial? It would let you try a variety without committing to buying before you know what you'll like.
ss456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Check out www.paddedtushstats.com she's got a ton o great Info to help you decide on what kind you want and what will fit your baby best. I am a huge softbums fan myself and think everyone should try them!
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote