Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
mommaroo2Lou
Registered Users
seller

Pumping in the car

This summer I am going to doing an internship where I have to drive out to rural areas for half the day to do outreach among migrant farmworkers. DS will be 6 mos old and with daddy for 9-10 hrs. I am think I am going to have to pump while driving as some of the drives will be really long and its not like I can ask farmworkers if I can pump in their bathroom or something. What supplies should I get? Does the pumpease work well? other good brands? Ideas on ways to store the milk (it will be really hot sometimes)? any other tips? This will be my first time pumping for an infant for an extended period of time so I am worried there are things I am not thinking of. Thank you!
mommaroo2Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
HotPotato1010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pumping in the car

I have an Ameda Purely Yours. It's a great pump, easy to use and clean the parts, assemble, etc. It has a strong suction. It came with a car adapter to plug it in my car. I used a hands-free bra which was essential. The only problem was that the pump was so good that it blew the fuse in my car. Maybe go with a manual pump?...

For storage, it depends on how long the milk has to be out. The CDC gives some detailed guidelines HERE. I would get a cooler, some ice packs, and breastmilk storage bags. It's easier to keep the milk cold if it lays flat in a bag. You can lay the ice packs on top of the bags of milk.

Wifey to DH May 8, 2010
Mommy to Eva Oct 31, 2010 (2.5 years old!)
Mommy to Olivia Apr 30, 2012 (1 year old!)
HotPotato1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hands free pumping can be tricky depending on your breast size and shape. I have heard of several mamas doing it but I can't to save my life You need a few trial runs to be sure.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
KailuaMonkey
Registered Users

Any pump can work handsfree with a pumping bra. I have never tried it while actually driving but I have pulled over and pumped many times.
KailuaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I did it while my twins were in the NICU an hour away from our home. I pumped going to and from the hospital every day. For me, any double electric pump with a car adapter worked and I just pulled down my shirt over the flanges and zipped a snug fleece jacket around everything to hold it in place while I drove. I used Medela breast pump wipes to clean the parts after each use. You'll need a cooler with lots of ice packs in the summer. Be sure to store it on the floor of the car, out of the sunlight.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I pump and drive. I had to get a battery pack box my car plug couldn't handle the pump and the fuses got blown. I don't have a pumping bra. I just wear a nursing bra with shirt in top and use my left arm to hold the flanges in place. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I pumped on my way to and from work. I didn't have a "pumping" bra..I just bought a clearance cotton sports bra and cut holes for the phalanges and they held in place. I wore a spaghetti strap so I could have easy access. I used a battery pack for pumping.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

medela pump with car charger and cleaning wipes. I users insulated lunch box with ice packs.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
carrollrj25
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
medela pump with car charger and cleaning wipes. I users insulated lunch box with ice packs.
This!!! I used to pump to and from work. It was great.
carrollrj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

I pumped while driving several times a week for several months. I am large chested but had no problems with a handsfree bra. I used the Pumpin' Pals shields with my Medela PISA. I would get hooked up before I left then when I was done I'd unhook the tubing. Sometimes I'd undo everything other times I'd wait until I reached my destination. At first I'd wear a nursing cover but got over that really quick! I decided if someone cared to look, so be it (you really couldn't see much with the handsfree). I used a cooler and ice packs to keep the milk cool.
IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote