Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Erinne
Registered Users

need allergy help!

I've taken Benadryl and it has helped, but my seasonal allergies are killing me! I'm only 6 weeks and I haven't even chosen a midwife yet, so no help there. If I go to my regular doctor, is there anything he could safely give me? He's not generally as cautious as I am, so I'm hesitant.
The attached picture is just to show how swollen up my eye is... just trying to elicit sympathy, because my dh has a minor cold so he's busy being whiney, too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-03-21 at 21.20 #2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	137721  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: need allergy help!

My midwife will let me take Benadryl if I have a reaction like yours. Other then that I would say to flush out your nasal passages with a netty pot, drink some hot tea, breath in steam with some tea tree or eucalyptus oil and lots of rest. If you can close up the house and turn on an air purifier that might help too. Sorry mama, it just sucks!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible
My midwife will let me take Benadryl if I have a reaction like yours. Other then that I would say to flush out your nasal passages with a netty pot, drink some hot tea, breath in steam with some tea tree or eucalyptus oil and lots of rest. If you can close up the house and turn on an air purifier that might help too. Sorry mama, it just sucks!
Agreed with all of this. I would also try taking some local honey and seeing if that helps. Feel better soon, mama. I was miserable with my allergies during 1st tri too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Probably not going to fix the problem but possibly it may help decrease the severity of every day seasonal allergies..... a tsp of local honey two times a day. My doctor swears by local buckwheat honey.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I take claritin/loratadine. Took it all through nursing and I'm pretty sure it's also considered a class B drug while pregnant (no side effects shown in animal studies). Hope you get some relief soon! Also, if your eyes are really itchy, I had to get a prescription for Patanol for relief. It is the only eye drop that helps my allergies.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by apboyles View Post
I take claritin/loratadine. Took it all through nursing and I'm pretty sure it's also considered a class B drug while pregnant (no side effects shown in animal studies). Hope you get some relief soon! Also, if your eyes are really itchy, I had to get a prescription for Patanol for relief. It is the only eye drop that helps my allergies.
Oh yes, Patanol! I've had that before and it's amazing, I'm so glad it's ok. Definitely going to call tomorrow for that, thanks!
In general, I've just started taking the benadryl more often, before I'm feeling too miserable, and at least I'm not having the swelling anymore. I've tried netti potting, but I'm so congested that it won't even flow through. Mostly I guess I just need to wait it out. I hate spring!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Loratadine and eye drops for me too. Otherwise I can't function. I tried flushing with a neti pot and just ended up with sinus infections in both pregnancies, so now it's back to actual medication.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Put some lavender EO on the tip of your nose.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote