Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone else...

suck at folding flats and prefolds? I see all these pics of super trim flats nicely pinned/snappi'd/boingo'd on babies, and I want to do it so bad. Then I try and it's a sloppy mess. I kinda just stick a cover on and shove in all the loose pieces. Sometimes I get it on there looking pretty good, but then when they stand up, I realize the back of their legs is halfway down their thighs (know what I mean?), and when I try to tuck it in, the whole thing goes wonky.
Prefolds aren't quite as bad, but they're still hit or miss for me.

It's so sad...I'm a flat failure.

ETA: We should share pictures of our flat fiascos! (Assuming I'm not alone) I'll try to get a pic today to share.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know all of the folds that people on here talk about, so I do a made up common sense fold. Much like yours, it looks a little weird sometimes, but it works. So if yours works you are not a failure either! :-)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
clarkcloth
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2sammy View Post
I don't know all of the folds that people on here talk about, so I do a made up common sense fold. Much like yours, it looks a little weird sometimes, but it works. So if yours works you are not a failure either! :-)
Haha-I agree-as long as it keeps the stuff in the diaper and doesn't let it leak out I would count it success I think sometimes we get so caught up in his cute cloth is that we forget about its primary goal and the reason we decided to do it (save money, help the environment, etc) Plus, pretty much everything on a baby is cute, so keep doing what you're doing mama
clarkcloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I cannot figure out how to fold a flat into anything but a pad fold. I tried the diaper bag fold but there was only one layer of cloth on his hips and there was to way to snappi it
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am 100% certain you can do it!! You just need to practice. Watch some tutorials and practice some more I do what I think is maybe a kite fold and Jellyroll the sides for poop containment.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah, I suck at it too! I just pad fold or trifold in a cover. I actually do use the fancy flat fold for pad folding in a pocket, it's in a thread around here somewhere. But pinning a fold? Forget it!

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is how I figured out the origami fold and Ive been practicing for when LO arrives. I find it the simplest out of all of them for some reason. The tutorial for the Kite Fold I still havent watched but looking at the instructions they dont look that intimidating. Again on the baby and on a teddy are 2 different things . The last site is really nice it has the step by step instructions on ALL of the folds as well as a video if you scroll down the bottom. We will see when the baby gets here.
I used to be a chaotic mess with prefolds years ago, but found out the more you do it the easier it gets.

Last edited by nachoslyn; 03-23-2013 at 08:35 AM.
nachoslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

The way I learned was by forcing myself to use nothing but flats for a day, and we went cover less so I was changing constantly. By the end of the day my skills had improved a lot!
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
JennyJack
Registered Users
seller

I'm miserable at folding flats, and I so desperately want to be good.
JennyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
March
Registered Users
seller

I can pull it off, but I never get it as neatly as I'd like to. That's why I hate 'em!
March is offline   Reply With Quote