Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Especially today..

"Homosexuality has been witnessed and observed throughout the animal world "

How does that have anything to do with humans? How is that a good argument? Animals eat poop too. They eat their babies sometimes.

Explain this argument to me.

I am all for Gay marriage and equality. I am just finding "animals do it" as a poor argument.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Well I think it is because some say it is not possible. Some think that it is a choice. Animals do things on instinct not choice. I am stretching and just guessing.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's generally in response to the idea that homosexuality is "unnatural", aberrant from what is seen in other species, and somehow a particular deviance of humans, one that should not be fostered or accommodated.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes.. I assumed that, but how many times do we see animals doing things we would never do, and we don't take that as "Well, then good enough for me". I don't like being told that because a female dog humps another female dog, that it must be acceptable for humans too...

Heck, my female lab is inappropriate with a giant stuffed Duck.

Again, am an FOR Gay marriage, just not based on what an animal would do.

I guess I just don't care for the comparison.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 03-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Yes.. I assumed that, but how many times do we see animals doing things we would never do, and we don't take that as "Well, then good enough for me". I don't like being told that because a female dog humps another female dog, that it must be acceptable for humans too...

I think maybe you're not the target audience for the point. The fact that homosexuality is common in nature is an argument against opinions that

a) homosexuality is unnatural
b) homosexuality "goes against God's plan"
c) homosexuality is a choice
d) homosexuality is a product of a degenerate culture or society

It's not a glorification of the way of the wolf, it's simply a counter-fact to correct various homophobic assumptions. If you don't share those assumptions, then you don't need to hear it
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I hear it in response to the "its not natural" argument. The point is just that it is natural. Animals don't just suddenly decide to be homosexual and neither do humans (or any sexuality for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
I think maybe you're not the target audience for the point. The fact that homosexuality is common in nature is an argument against opinions that

a) homosexuality is unnatural
b) homosexuality "goes against God's plan"
c) homosexuality is a choice
d) homosexuality is a product of a degenerate culture or society

It's not a glorification of the way of the wolf, it's simply a counter-fact to correct various homophobic assumptions. If you don't share those assumptions, then you don't need to hear it

It still doesn't make sense as opening poster pointed out some animals on instinct eat their young. This is natural for them. It doesn't make it natural for humans. So the same would apply then for homosexuality or really anything animals do. Just because it may be natural for animals does not mean it is natural for people.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
[/COLOR]

It still doesn't make sense as opening poster pointed out some animals on instinct eat their young. This is natural for them. It doesn't make it natural for humans. So the same would apply then for homosexuality or really anything animals do. Just because it may be natural for animals does not mean it is natural for people.
It IS natural for people. I have numerous gay and lesbian friends. The average age they knew they were gay was 4 to 5 years old. You don't choose that at 4 - 5 years old. You just are.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
It IS natural for people. I have numerous gay and lesbian friends. The average age they knew they were gay was 4 to 5 years old. You don't choose that at 4 - 5 years old. You just are.
I am not argueing as we are never going to agree on this. However it still doesn't make sense regardless of the side of this arguement you are on to say because something is natural for an animal it follows then that it must be natural to humans. Animals do many things we as humans (normal ones that is)would never dream of doing. Killing our young, eating poop, mating with our siblings or offspring for a few examples.

I have heard the animals don't or do ? referring to many hot button topics. I don't get it regardless. Even if I agree with the persons beliefs this arguement just turns me away from them.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage

The giant stuffed duck made me think,,,don't humans have plastic fake pieces of anatomy to be inappropriate with? That's more of a conscious choice than being gay. just thought that was funny. Sorry if it offensive, it was a really funny image in my head.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I wish some people would eat their young . I AM KIDDING FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE DAYS IN THE WEEK I AM KIDDING. Seriously though I dont get that argument either.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote