Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Would you think it was weird

to have a party 2 months before the b-day? I just had the thread complaining about summer b-days, but I was thinking if people do half b-day parties, why can't I just have her school friend b-day party in May before school lets out? Is that to weird?

B-days are usually just grandparents, cake and presents. I usually make an elaborate cake but other then that its really no that much of a party. We don't do anything super special sometimes we take her to dinner that kind of stuff. So it wouldn't be like we having 2 actual parties. We would do a real party for the school friends (with the elaborate cake), favors, balloons all the good stuff that we never really do. Then a run of the mill cake with the grandparents on her actual b-day. i would say we could just have a b-day dinner with the grandparents but they expect cake. There is a good possibility that we may be moving 30 miles away before her b-day anyway. So even if we kept in touch and planned a b-day for her school friends its would have to be at a location and dd wants them to come over to our house (still might take it somewhere else, just don't know exactly where).

What do you think? Is it weird?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you think it was weird

A party is a party who cares especially if your child doesn't. my son and soon to be are around christmas. As we start thinking about parties with more than just family I will probably start considering this too. I think early makes more since than late.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

No, most people won't even know it's not her real b-day and even if they asked, your explanation would make sense.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
No, most people won't even know it's not her real b-day and even if they asked, your explanation would make sense.
agreed.

and about the gift giving.. I wouldn't worry.. unless you haven't been attending all the friends' birthday parties all year long. Then, it's sorta weird.

I just attended a birthday party that was about 1-2 months early. They're leaving in April (military) and the birthday is sometime in May. They wanted to help their kiddo celebrate with friends. Didn't bother me.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont' think it is weird at all. DH's family lives 6 hours away. One DS b-day is in Feb. and one in May and we have a nephew in May. We usually try to get together and celebrate all three birthdays in the spring sometime.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the gift getting aspect is weird and kinda tacky, but I don't see a problem in just throwing a party during the school year.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
I think the gift getting aspect is weird and kinda tacky, but I don't see a problem in just throwing a party during the school year.
That was my worry that it would seem like we were trying get more gifts this way. but most people separate school parties from family parties anyway. We have always request no presents but it never works so we gave up on that.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was thinking about doing DD's 2nd birthday a month early since it's really close to my due date, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

As a summer birthday kid, I planned our kids to not be summer babies. HATED it growing up. All year long getting to sing happy birthday for everyone else but never getting anything special at school for me. On year they did line up 30 or so summer kids and had everyone sing at lunch and we got the orange icecream cup things I hate... not a special day at all. And one year I did try bringing in cupcakes and things a month early so we could celebrate at school, but several kids commented that it wasn't really my birthday so it didn't count. My feelings were quite hurt. My actual parties were usually pretty dull too since most people were out of town. So my vote is for doing something that makes your DD feel special.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do think it is a little weird. Personally if your daughter wants a party with friends from school I would throw an end of year party. I wouldn't sing happy birthday to my child 2 months before their birthday but that is just me.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it's weird. And I don't have a problem with gift giving, and certainly don't find it tacky at all. People are celebrating your child's birthday, gifts are given at birthday celebrations. No big deal.

Now that I think about it we don't have parties for any of mine right at their birthdays. Life doesn't work that easily. DD1 is right near fathers day, yearly family reunion, grandmother, and her fathers birthdays. We've had May, and July parties for her. DS1 is March right at soccer time and gymnastics competitions. He's friend party is April 6th this year and was in February last year. DD2 is smack between Thanksgiving and Christmas, try finding a weekend there that works around holiday festivities and gymnastics. HA. Actually, her party was on her birthday this year, during the week at pump it up. Everyone loved it and didn't care that it was during the week. DS2 is 2 weeks after Christmas, and still in the midst on gymnastic competitions. We've not done a big party for him yet.

Whatever works.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote