Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
onion
Registered Users
seller

Does "felted" also mean "shrunk?"

I just bought a medium Loveybums (fitted wool cover) here and in the description the seller said "somewhat felted." A Med is supposed to fit 9 - 22lbs but this thing can't cover my 14.5 pounder.
Should I have assumed that it was this shrunken? Should I have asked for measurements? Was I just being ignorant?
To boot, there is a 2inch stain on the outside that the seller did not mention...

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Does "felted" also mean "shrunk?"

I bought felted wool before and it was not shrunk at all. I would ask for a refund for the undisclosed staining though.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I bought felted wool before and it was not shrunk at all. I would ask for a refund for the undisclosed staining though.
This
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My understanding is that if the item is felted AFTER being sewn together, etc, yes it will shrink. Felting is where the fibers tighten and shrink up. However, if the FABRIC is felted first, then the item is sewn together, no it's not shrunk b/c it's sewn to the correct dimensions using felted fabric.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, felting will shrink an item. It's like throwing large longies in the washer and dryer. You might be lucky for them to fit as a small after that. I would assume lightly felted meant not that felted so it should fit just a little under the size it should be.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
My understanding is that if the item is felted AFTER being sewn together, etc, yes it will shrink. Felting is where the fibers tighten and shrink up. However, if the FABRIC is felted first, then the item is sewn together, no it's not shrunk b/c it's sewn to the correct dimensions using felted fabric.
this

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Friendly Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yes you should have assumed a bit shrunk but from the description somewhat I wouldn't have expected it to be a lot shrunk. Thar isn't somewhat felted that is very felted. I always ask for measurements as I did buy some covers that were very felted and didn't fit. The owner had been given them used so had no idea what they were supposed to measure or look like. She kindly let me return them and purchase her bigger covers instead.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Agree completely with above posters. I would also say that asking for measurements is something I always do. If they don't fit then I would explain that and send them back. You will have to pay shipping however then she can resell.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I would expect some shrink with felted items. It can be different with each instance however, so yes if I saw that description I would ask HOW felted it is. I think if it were me, I would chalk that up to lesson learned, ask more questions regarding felting. The stain is something that should be addressed with the seller however.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Contact her and let her know they are felted to a small and there is also a stain. Per paypal, you are required to pay return shipping with DC/tracking but you should be refunded full purchase price. You may want to open a paypal dispute to be sure you are protected.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote