Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question about pumping frequency :)

I wasn't sure where to post this..here or Pumping Support...

My 2 week old DD was having issues latching and nursing (possible posterior tongue tie and reflux). I've been working with her and she is starting to nurse every 3 - 4 hours for about 30 - 45 minutes. I had been pumping every 2 hours and giving her that.

Here's my question: now that she's nursing more frequently should I still be pumping every 2 hours or just after she nurses? I don't want my supply to go down....I actually need to increase it some. But, when I pump every 2 hours she doesn't seem like she's getting enough at the breast and gets very fussy and I end up giving her expressed milk. She's much happier when I wait for her to nurse then pump.

What would you do/recommend? Continue to pump every 2 hours, wait for my supply to increase and just know she's going to be fussy and probably need some expressed milk after she nurses. Or wait and pump every 3-4 hours after she nurses?

I'm giving my lactation consultant a call but any help from you experienced mommas would be greatly appreciated! - TIA!

Last edited by Southern Momma; 04-30-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about pumping frequency :)

I would pump after she nurses. Your primary goal is to get her to nurse & feed from the breast exclusively, not to fill a bottle - that's more appropriate when you're separated.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would pump right after she nurses. I would also stop giving her expressed milk (if possible) and work on getting her to nurse more often if needed to increase your supply.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mommas! It eases my mind to know I have a great resource here :goodvives:

I started pumping after baby nurses and she's happy and it doesn't seem to be effecting my supply adversely

I talked with my LC and she suggested pumping after every other feeding and also supplementing after every other feeding...Baby has had some weight gain issues so I still need to supplement a little bit. Working our way away from that though