Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

"I want booby..."

My son will be 2 in a little over a week. He has been weaned since about 19 months, when pregnancy caused my milk to dry up. However, we have recently been reading books about a having a new baby in the house (I'm 34 weeks) and talk about how the baby doesn't eat sandwiches, apples, or bananas, (DS's favorite foods), only drinks milk from Mommy. Or as he says: Eats booby. :-). Anyway, recently he has been saying, "I want booby." So, I offer, even though there is only colostrum. However, only occasionally does he even put his mouth on me. He usually just says, "No booby." "Or, all done booby." Or, "Other booby" (which he also rejects), every now and then he will but my breast in his mouth, but he doesn't know how to latch. Does anybody else have experience with this, and most importantly, what happened when the new baby arrived? When my milk comes in you think he will figure out the latching again, do you think there will be jealousy issues if he can't? This has been on my mind late
as I am trying to get together a good list of activities to keep an active 2 yr old happy while nursing the newbie.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would always just tell mine we have to save the milk for baby, and they are too big for mommys milk, but I wasn't interested in tandem nursing or allowing nursing again after they were weaned, so don't know what I would do in you situation
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "I want booby..."

So have no experience with this but your question caught my attention. If you told him that it's for the baby I would think there would be less jealousy potential than if you let him keep trying and not succeeding.... just trying to think like a 2 year old.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have tandem nursed 3 times and when a LO asks to nurse after weaning I would just assume that they are checking to make sure they still can. I don't know that I have ever heard of a kid that actually picks up again after months of being weaned. I am sure there are a few that have but they are the exception not the rule. He has a lot of changes right now growing in to a big brother If you are comfortable with him nursing again I say let him. If not just kindly remind him that we have to save the milk for the baby in your tummy and offer snuggles instead.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
k&kmomrn
Registered Users

Usually they forget how to latch and eventually lose interest.
k&kmomrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

He just wants to know that you would give it to him if her really wanted it.