Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Time for each other

How do you (specifically) find time for each other with toddlers who constantly need/want your attention?

Just looking for ideas here... by the time our LO's are finally asleep we're usually exhausted. We talk to each other throughout the day when we're home and do many things together. So we do have that, at least.

Sadly, we don't have anyone we know/trust well enough who lives close enough to babysit three little ones, so that option isn't exactly feasible.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Coordinate naps and spend time then. We utilize family as babysitters. We both work so we'll go to lunch together and exchange flirty texts. If you're up before them shower together. Let them play in the yard while sitting in lawn chairs and chatting. How old are the LOs? Find a babysitter you trust and go out. Seriously. Its worth it! Every once in awhile we'll take a personal day from work together and leave them in daycare too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Time for each other

Our children are scheduled so we have naptime daily though DH is only home on the weekends and ours are in bed by 8 every night so we have a few hours after they are asleep together. We also do "couch time" here, where mom and dad take about 15 minutes to sit together and plan the evening and catch up once he gets home from work. Our children have quiet reading or puzzle time, each in separate location, during that so there are no disruptions but they are safe and supervised.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have crazy schedules and it is hard for us to spend a lot of time together! We don't use a babysitter unless it is family. DH works shift work so he constantly is on a different schedule and during the summer he works a second job. I go to school too. We try to take one night a week we are both home and as soon as we get the kids to sleep, we snuggle in bed and watch a movie. If we are both up before any kids we shower together. Sometimes it is really rough because as soon as one of us gets home the other one heads out the door. I just remind myself that once I finish school it will be a lot less crazy.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
SpartyGuard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After DD's bedtime is pretty much our most reliable "us" time. We'll either be working together on whatever household chores still need to be done and when its all done, we sit and watch TV together, catch up on our days, talk about stuff we need to collaborate on, etc.

We didn't have this until recently but DDs gymnastics center does PNO every 6 weeks or so and we take advantage of that. And when family is in town we try to make sure we schedule a date night during that time.
SpartyGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Date night!!!! I can't imagine not having it the past 9 years. We have it at least once per month, but usually twice a month.

We also don't live near any family so in all 3 different states and 4 different cities in the last 9 years we sought out neighborhood sitters. The sitters ages ranged between 13-19. 14 year olds are a great age!

You can find sitters and make it happen. It is amazing what a couple of hours to yourselves does for you, especially being able to sit and eat dinner, have a nice uninterrupted conversation with dh and not have to cut up anyone else's food!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have our time after kids' bed time. Once the kids go to bed, it's very rare that either of us will do something like house work.

We also have a few baby sitters that we utilize for date night. We used a college age one when the littles were really small and in diapers. Once our youngest turned 2.5 we used a younger teen. She's coming over tonight to sit all 3 while DH and I attend a childbirth class.

ETA: Sitters are just something that I have found are a necessity. It's good to have an emergency back up if something comes up. If one of the children was in a situation (health or abuse) that warranted both parents to be with just that one child, the others would need someone to look after them. Or if something happened while one spouse was out of town...

Last edited by mcpforever; 05-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
kanga1622
Registered Users

DS goes to bed relatively early so we generally have at least an hour but usually two to catch up after he goes to bed.

If you do not have early to sleep kids, can you guys get up 30 minutes earlier and have that time to start your day?

Do you have any family nearby that would be willing to babysit for even an hour once a month? Just a little recharge would probably make a HUGE difference.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How old are your kids?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
mel j
Registered Users
seller