Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Safe bug repellent

Anyone know of a safe bug repellent our whole family could use? We have terrible Mosquitos in the evenings, but I always worry about using bug repellent because of the chemicals. I've tried Burt's Bees before, but it was so oily, we couldn't use it. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
All Terrain.

http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerc...epellents.html
Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
I second all terrain. We use it here in mn with great results. Off, if I remember correctly, makes a citronella natural repellant as well. Either can be acquired at target
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
emboyd88
Registered Users
seller

Re: Safe bug repellent

You could also get some from the honest company. They use all natural ingredients. I have some but never really got the chance to use it last year, so i can't promise the level of effectiveness.
emboyd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IME, if citronella is the active ingredient it doesn't work against mosquitoes very well :-/ I have tried half a dozen natural ones...Cali Baby, All Terrain, Burt's Bees, BabyGanics... and I haven't had success with any. I am still on the hunt for a good natural bug repellent. The mosquitoes in Florida are BAD and last year we had West Nile in our county. I have been meaning to try a Neem Oil based repellent. Unfortunately, deet is the only thing that seems to keep them off...I usually use the cutter family care unscented.

ETA: I put my little in a Pack N Play with a bug net over it. I hate using those nasty chemicals on them, but we can't stay inside all summer either!

Last edited by juliasmom; 05-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
IME, if citronella is the active ingredient it doesn't work against mosquitoes very well :-/ I have tried half a dozen natural ones...Cali Baby, All Terrain, Burt's Bees, BabyGanics... and I haven't had success with any. I am still on the hunt for a good natural bug repellent. The mosquitoes in Florida are BAD and last year we had West Nile in our county. I have been meaning to try a Neem Oil based repellent. Unfortunately, deet is the only thing that seems to keep them off...I usually use the cutter family care unscented.

ETA: I put my little in a Pack N Play with a bug net over it. I hate using those nasty chemicals on them, but we can't stay inside all summer either!
I completely understand using something, especially with the West Nile possibility. But I'm really hoping to find a natural product out there...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post

Yeah. I hate using Off- especially since we need to use it every day, but our mosquitoes are vicious. None of the natural stuff works so far. We've planted marigolds, used all kinds of natural bug repellents. So far off deep woods is all that works and we have to spray it on skin. They still attack if you spray it on clothes. Wish I could have the yard sprayed without getting it on our garden. We're going to experiment with the clip on things this year, but I have a feeling they won't work. These mosquitoes attack even the smallest bit of skin that isn't sprayed. If you don't spray clothes and only skin then they bite through your clothes.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

http://www.mommypotamus.com/easy-hom...bug-repellent/

And am excited to try it this year.
Katie180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

Sorry last post was weird. It was supposed to say i made this and am excited to try it.
Katie180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used California baby in the past and I didn't love it but it was ok. This year I got babyganics brand and it works a lot better. We are having a yard sprayed with organic and safe spray this year so hopefully that makes up the difference in the less powerful bug sprays.